AG-HMC150 and Sony Vegas 8.0c and Vegas 8.1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old November 17th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

AG-HMC150 and Sony Vegas 8.0c and Vegas 8.1

Greetings everyone,

So, I am very seriously considering the HMC150 as my next camera, but I have been unable to find any clear discussions or verification regarding panasonic's AVCHD footage compatibility with Sony Vegas 8.0c and/or the 64bit Vegas 8.1; Especially the 21mbit, high quality mode, which I understand to be a bit beyond the current "norm."

Any discussion or experiences would be very helpful!
Adam Sturman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Major Player

It works great with Vegas Pro 8.0c. No problems at all.

There are some other people experiencing problems using Vegas. Search the Sonycreative software.com Vegas forum and the DVXuser.com HMC-150 forum.

It's a great camera and no problems with Vegas at all for me.
Old November 29th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #3
New Boot

Editing AVCCAM 20 questions

I'm considering the Panasonic AG HMC-150 as well, I love that my copy of Vegas shows the AVCHD file type in the Import menu! So then I'll have a nice HD cam, and great editing solution, but what about the box?

I currently have a xw8200 with one old 3.0 xenon/4gb ram/FX1300 card.
Is that enough to do these files? Upgrade or new box?

Whats a mid-line funtional system?
Jeff mentioned Dual 2 core, and 2.4ghz -3.0ghz, so my question would be what is a strong enough system to edit these files with in Vegas?
HP xw 4600? 6600? xenon? with 2.4ghz or 3.0?
I would say min xw4600 with 2.6ghz duo 2, 4 gb ram and fx1700..too weak?

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.
Bob Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi,

Either Vegas 8.0c in XP or Vegas 8.1 in Vista will work with the AVCHD CODEC in Panasonic's variation of it just fine. You also have the option to use the Panasonic free utility to convert the CODEC to DVCPro to edit in either Adobe CS3 or CS4 or any of the options that handle that format naively as well.

I don't think you can have too much when it comes to computing power. I have a Quad Core, and it does fine in 8.0c (I haven't upgraded to Vista in that machine as yet), and a Dual Core 8.1 Vista.

The PH - 21 Mbs (1920x1080) -- Highest Quality Setting offered is quite unique in reportedly that it has the tightest micro-blocks in the picture outputs you'll see anywhere. I've looked at a lot of outputs from a lot of the cameras and they are just amazing.

The Quad Core is much faster; with the Dual Core, I get Red Frames, and sputters, and generally odd behaviors with high bit rates from PH content. Any problems that arise are likely coming from poorly performing computers.

If you convert the content to DVCPro, you've shifted the paradigm to another CODEC, making the editing example different.

My Quad Core is still the best, but CS3 is what I use.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders