DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   hmc150 battery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/142946-hmc150-battery.html)

Matthew Harris February 2nd, 2009 11:28 PM

hmc150 battery

i currently have a dvx100a but hopefully will be getting the hmc150 soon...are the dvx100a batteries compatible with the hmc150 ?

Steve Wolla February 3rd, 2009 12:15 AM

I don't believe they are compatible. HMC batteries are a unique configuration, as I understand it.

Matthew Harris February 3rd, 2009 09:42 AM

probably so ... i have a nice big battery for the dvx100a but wishful thinking...

Casey Krugman February 3rd, 2009 03:39 PM

No dvx batterries in the HMC

Nope... I think it wasn't the smartest move on Panasonic's part for inspiring customer loyalty, but they did it...

Your DVX batteries (Panasonic | CGR-D54 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack | CGAD54SE/1B | B&H) will only work in the HVX-200a and the HPX-170

The HMC uses these...(Panasonic | VW-VBG6PPK | VWVBG6PPK | B&H Photo Video)

Hope this clears it up...

Tom Alexander February 3rd, 2009 09:49 PM

As Casey said, the DVX batteries are not compatible with the HMC. Unfortunately, there are no generics currently available, and Panasonic's batteries are pricey. But they do last a while. I bought one of the large capacity batteries from B & H.

Interestingly, the battery charger from my little PV-GS300 works on the HMC's batteries. I noticed this when checking to see what cameras the HMC's charger works for, and both cameras were listed. I tried it and it works great, so I have a spare. But the GS300's batteries do not work on the HMC (I tried that too).

Matthew Harris February 4th, 2009 11:59 AM

don't generics usually roll out over time...after the camera has been out for a while...? i recall waiting some time till i got a larger generic for the dvx100a...

Alex Dolgin February 4th, 2009 09:26 PM

Panasonic designed in a new chip into the battery, the camera would not turn on unless the battery is authenticated. The generics would have to have a way to cheat their way into getting accepted...

Dana Salsbury February 4th, 2009 09:46 PM

...and generic batteries generally have a pathetic life-span. I vowed never to buy generic batteries. I would guess my generics need recharged in 1/3 the time as my originals. Maybe I'm unlucky, but a good battery is good insurance against bad situations.

Steve Wolla February 15th, 2009 03:13 AM

You know, the real bummer here is that the only chargers that will work are Panasonic's and they don't charge very quickly at all. There are no fast chargers like my old Lenmar that can charge the 150's batteries in 40 minutes vs several hours. I really miss having that ability....

Alex Dolgin February 15th, 2009 07:30 AM

Steve, just curious, what prevents you from using your Lenmar? Is it Mach 2? I know that their footprint is different but I was under impression you could insert them anyways?

Steve Wolla February 15th, 2009 10:50 AM

The Lenmar battery plate I used for my GS400--which has the same "footprint" as the HMC batteries--won't work on the HMC batteries. It will physically fit, but will not charge.
However, the HMC charger will charge the older style GS400 batteries.
I can try again, but that was tyhe result of my initial experimentation.
Not sure of the model number of the Lenmar, but it's silver and charges batteries quite rapidly. It cost about $69. Money well spent.

Tom Alexander February 15th, 2009 10:53 PM

I tried the charger for my GS300, and it works. As I mentioned before, the batteries for the GS300 will not work on the HMC, however. I had to shave a corner on each side to get it to slide into the HMC's battery terminals, but the HMC says "This Battery Will Not Work" on the viewfinder. So the chip has me beat right now, the only other way around it is to wire the battery into the A/C adapter cord. I've done this with the GS300, but I'm not going to with the HMC. The camera's too expensive to mess with a DIY battery.