DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Slow zoom & Edius with SVCHD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/143963-slow-zoom-edius-svchd.html)

Martin Duffy February 17th, 2009 05:37 AM

Slow zoom & Edius with SVCHD

I am a frustrated Sony FX1000 user and are considering swapping over to the 150 model.

From what I have reading editing in Edius version 5 with a 3 gig dual core PC means I can edit nativly with the AVCHD files the 150 records.

Can anyone confirm this?

Does this therefore mean no transcoding?

Does it mean I simply transfer the files from the flash card to the PC hard drive and start editing in Edius 5 with all the real-time effects I currently enjoy?

The only real concern I have with this camera is the zoom speed. I read in a review that it takes 3.2 seconds to go from a full wide to a full zoom yet the Zony Z1 is around 1.5 seconds.

Man 3.2 seconds is a long long time. I film sport and like getting in there quickly.

I have a Panasonic DVC62 and it takes not even a second to go from wide to full.

Why on earth would Panasonic not simply put the same zoom rocker speed thingy on all its cameras as having a camera that has ultra slow/medium and ultra fast speeds is surely what alot of us require.

This is such a no brainer.

Larry Pfister February 17th, 2009 03:31 PM

My Edius 5 AVCHD experience

I have a Dual Quad Core 2.5 Xeon system 4TB Raid with Edius 5. I have downloaded a few sample clips from this cam and native 720/60p almost play through but the audio stutters while 1080i files play even less before they stutter to a complete stop.

Transcoding to Canopus HQ works wonderful, but the file sizes increase four to five times which would require me to increase my storage system to a level I simply cannot justify at this time, not to mention the transcode times. I love Edius and have no urge to change to other software that would better edit AVCHD.

I currently shoot with a JVC HD7 and can use the native files perfectly. Not the best cam, but it works for me. I am waiting to see what the new JVC cams are like in the real world.

The 150 has everything I want except a format I can work with as easily as the one I use now. I have spoken directly to the Edius people and native AVCHD editing is not something they want to talk very much about.

Larry Pfister
Horsepower Heaven Videos
Horsepower Heaven Homepage

Martin Duffy February 17th, 2009 08:15 PM

zoom speed

Thanks Larry. Gee it sort of defeats the purpose really with all that transcoding that needs to take place.

What about the zoom speed? Is it pretty slow?

Thanks again.

Larry Pfister February 17th, 2009 09:40 PM

150 zoom speed

I have never actually seen a 150, but according to the manual it has a manual zoom ring that can go from full wide to full tele as quick as you can spin it. You can also set the zoom button ratio 2x, 5x and 10x.

LP

Martin Duffy February 17th, 2009 10:03 PM

zoom ratio

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Pfister (Post 1013776)
I have never actually seen a 150, but according to the manual it has a manual zoom ring that can go from full wide to full tele as quick as you can spin it. You can also set the zoom button ratio 2x, 5x and 10x.

LP

Larry what do you mean by zoom button ratio?

Mark Von Lanken February 18th, 2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Duffy (Post 1013788)
Larry what do you mean by zoom button ratio?

Hi Martin,

I'm not sure, but the only thing that I can think of is the digital zoom, which has the ratio of 2x 5x and 10x. I thought 2x may be okay, but it is not acceptable for my use. Perhaps if you are doing surveillance video where quality is not the most important thing.

Roy Gates February 22nd, 2009 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Pfister (Post 1013622)
The 150 has everything I want except a format I can work with as easily as the one I use now.

Doesn't it seem that every camcorder out there has an Achilles heel? Whether it's rolling shutter or glitchy editing, it's always something.

Mark Von Lanken February 22nd, 2009 09:14 PM

Hi Roy,

You are right. If they ever did build the perfect camera, then it would cost so much that it would no longer be "the perfect camera".

The HMC150 is about as close to perfect as I have seen and you gotta love the price.