DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Log-in and Say Cheers to HMC-150 here...please (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/144047-log-say-cheers-hmc-150-here-please.html)

Mac Treouser February 18th, 2009 07:44 AM

Log-in and Say Cheers to HMC-150 here...please

Hi,

Are you the HMC-150 user?Please log-in and drop a message to support this Camcorder, any Pro or Con or Comments...

Welcome you...

Mark Von Lanken February 18th, 2009 10:33 PM

Hi Mac,

I'll sign on as a very satisfied HMC150 user. It's a great camera. I have been in business for 12 years and the HMC150 is the best camera I have ever used.

Tom Alexander February 18th, 2009 11:10 PM

I too, am pleased with the HMC150. It not only met my expectations, it exceeded them.

No buyers remorse here

P.S. No buyers remorse for purchasing Mark's "Moving Camera Techniques" video either (sorry, shameless plug)

Mac Treouser February 19th, 2009 01:57 AM

Hi Both,

Thanks and Great to heard the comments from the precious users...

According to the comments from the above, i can tell that the HMC150 really serve you right, But i wish to know more about your opinion "how it make things right?" in terms of Shooting, Low Light, Weight, Editing Workflow, Pro Features, Lens and so on...

Please, feel free to share about the reviews after work with IT!!!
:D

p/s: How do you think about HMC150 side by side with others?

Ken Steadman February 19th, 2009 03:30 PM

I was worried about it when I first purchased it but I love my HMC150, everyday I like it that much more.

Scott Hayes February 19th, 2009 06:30 PM

ordered mine today, after selling my Sony Z1s. If this camera matches up
even close to my EX1, I will sell the EX and order another. Hell, I might anyway,
less weight, no CMOS, i cant wait.

Matthew Harris February 19th, 2009 09:39 PM

just got mine this morning...brilliant...outside shots stunning...indoor with normal basic light very impressive...plus smooth as can be transferring files...editing with vegas 8 a tad choppy but nothing major...i have upshift if anything bogs down on that end...

Matthew Harris February 19th, 2009 09:42 PM

...ps...also so much lighter than my dvx100a and other cameras i have tried like the xh-a1 or the fx1...but still built sturdy like a tank similar to the dvx models...

Patrick Masters February 20th, 2009 08:13 AM

Just ordered this morning but from user reviews and the test footages I have seen on the net, I am positive I will be very happy with the investment. Hopefully the first project I shoot with it will pay the for the camera itself.

Matthew Harris February 20th, 2009 09:07 AM

another ps...you can't beat the 3 yr warranty and also the current battery upgrade and 8gb sd card rebate...

Mac Treouser February 20th, 2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Steadman (Post 1014704)
I was worried about it when I first purchased it but I love my HMC150, everyday I like it that much more.

Haa...Ken, thanks for the Vote!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Hayes (Post 1014780)
ordered mine today, after selling my Sony Z1s. If this camera matches up
even close to my EX1, I will sell the EX and order another. Hell, I might anyway,
less weight, no CMOS, i cant wait.

Wow...Scott, please let us know did you sell the EX1 finally?!:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Harris (Post 1014856)
just got mine this morning...brilliant...outside shots stunning...indoor with normal basic light very impressive...plus smooth as can be transferring files...editing with vegas 8 a tad choppy but nothing major...i have upshift if anything bogs down on that end...

Matthew, do you post your clips on any site?please show us the link, we w'ld like to watch it!!!!:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Masters (Post 1015062)
Just ordered this morning but from user reviews and the test footages I have seen on the net, I am positive I will be very happy with the investment. Hopefully the first project I shoot with it will pay the for the camera itself.

Hey Hey Patrick, you too, just grab it?haaa...wonderful, please show us some parts or shots from your first project sooooooon!!!! ;)

Scott Hayes February 20th, 2009 12:18 PM

No, haven't sold it, yet. I won't make that decision until I can shoot the cameras
side by side. from a Financial standpoint, i kinda went overboard with the EX1,
so trading down to a cheaper camera pays off my CC. We'll see.

Matthew Harris February 20th, 2009 12:57 PM

no i do not have a site where i can post anything ... sorry

Norman Gaddis February 20th, 2009 06:09 PM

HMC150 is great, need to sell FX1000

I just recently moved from SD to HD. I've been shooting with VX2000's & VX2100's for about 8-9 years. The first HD camera I bought was the Sony FX1000. It's a great camera but it's not very well balanced and I absolutely despise the rolling shutter. I know, it doesn't matter to a lot of folks and I'll probably be burned at the stake here for stating my opinion, but I HATE it.

I bought an HMC150 and an HV30 about 2 weeks after purchasing the FX1000. The HV30's primary purpose in life is to capture footage shot on the FX1000 and for family use. I must admit I was pleasantly surprised by the HV30's abilities in decent light. However, I don't think I'd ever use it as a 2nd cam to the HMC150 unless I was shooting outdoors in sun light. My plan was to use the FX1000 as my unmanned, wide ceremony camera and shoot everything else with the HMC, including all of the reception.

My first HD shoot was a couple of weeks ago. My observations:

1) The FX1000 is approx. 1 stop brighter in low light than the HMC. It's also slightly more detailed. However, I prefer the look of the HMC's footage over the FX. It just has a cleaner, smoother, more pleasant look, IMO. Even in good light, I prefer the HMC's footage over the FX.

2) The HMC is an absolute delight to shoot with. Light weight, perfect balance. Shooting to cards is fantastic. No carrying a bunch of tapes in my pockets. One side benefit that never occurred to me until I was using it in the field... you can leave the camera in pause mode forever if you wish with no detrimental effect other than draining the battery. Over the years I've shot on tape, to reduce wear on the cam's heads I've always made an effort to turn off the camera if I didn't plan to shoot for a few moments. I didn't want to leave the cam in pause mode with the tape sitting against the heads spinning at 9k rpm. Doing that caused me to miss a lot of great shots due to the time required to power up and begin recording. With the HMC, I left it powered up during the entire reception and was able to record at a second's notice. Using the big battery I still had almost an hour of power left at the end of the night.

I have not begun editing the footage from this wedding yet. I use Edius 5.0 with the Canopus HDStorm. I have backed up the footage to 2 hard drives, plus I burned all of the AVCHD files to DVDs for archival. At 15 cents per DVD (generic TDK discs purchased on sale at OfficeMax), the cost to back everything up is nil. I have 2 quad core machines, one with the 9550 processor for editing with the HDStorm, and the other with the Q6600 processor for capturing, converting, and encoding. My HDStorm machine with the 9550 processor will not play AVCHD natively. There has been some discussion that Edius will play AVCHD natively but not on my system. Converting to Canopus HQ is no big deal for me.

In retrospect, I wish I would have never purchased the FX1000 and would have gotten 2 HMC's instead. I want to sell the FX and buy another HMC. Does anyone have an idea of how much the FX is worth? I bought it new in November. It has less than 2 hours of actual recording time on it. I checked B&H's online quote for it and it's only $1700. Any suggestions of where to advertise it other than Ebay?

When you compare the HMC150 to the FX1000, the HMC is the clear winner. XLR audio, 3 year warranty, tapeless, no rolling shutter, lighter and much better balanced. The price for both cams is the same at B&H.

Ken Steadman February 20th, 2009 08:58 PM

Woot! I came home today to find a small package waiting for me; 8gb card and the big battery. The rebate was a welcome surprise!