DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   I pulled the trigger HMC150 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/144199-i-pulled-trigger-hmc150.html)

Patrick Masters February 20th, 2009 07:41 AM

I pulled the trigger HMC150

I pulled the trigger this morning on the HMC150. I tried to get from one of DVi's vendors but none of them seemed to have carried it.

I am feeling pretty euphoric after spending a couple years with the Canon HV20. I am excited to finally move to a tape less work flow.

I picked up a 16GB SDHC card with reader and a 72MM UV filter.

What are some other must haves that I should pick up. I am assuming I will need a higher capacity battery but dont know what the price would be or where to pick one up.

I already have Neo Scene but am unsure if I need to go up Prosepct HD to use with Premiere CS4. Ill be switching back and forth b/t Premiere CS4/After Effects CS4 and FCP6/Motion.

All I know is the 24th cant get here fast enough.

One question, does the HMC150 have a focus ring or is it that little dial thing that seems to be popping up on most cameras now?

Oh yeah, does footage from the HMC150 transfer well to film for a feature release?

Mark Von Lanken February 20th, 2009 08:32 AM

Hi Patrick,

Congratulations on your new purchase. I have an HV20. I have used it as a capture camera and a 4th camera when there is enough light. Get prepared, the HMC150 is a huge step up from the HV20. You are going to love it.

I don't have answers to all of your questions, but here's a few.

Yes, you will need the large capacity battery if you plan on using battery power more than 1.5 hours. I would check with the sponsers listed here. I'm sure at least one of them has the large battery in stock.

Yes, the HMC150 has a real focus ring. Much, much better than the focus dial on the HV20. It also has a real manual zoom ring, which makes it so easy to whip in and get focus. You will love the Focus Assist button.

I don't use CS4, but I have heard you do not have to trancode AVCHD for CS4.

Doug Marcum February 20th, 2009 08:41 AM

Patrick,

Congratulations, I just received my HMC150 yesterday.
Panasonic has a claim form/rebate that provides a free battery and 8 gb card.
As long as you don't buy a B-Stock or used camera it should be valid.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWor..._AG-HMC150.pdf

I am curious to the answers to some of your other questions as well.
Take Care,
Doug

Patrick Masters February 20th, 2009 09:33 AM

I picked mine up from Amazon so if it ends up being B-stock, I can always exchange it. For the same price as B&H, I think Im ok with the camera.

Bob Thieda February 20th, 2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Marcum (Post 1015087)
Patrick,

Congratulations, I just received my HMC150 yesterday.
Panasonic has a claim form/rebate that provides a free battery and 8 gb card.
As long as you don't buy a B-Stock or used camera it should be valid.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWor..._AG-HMC150.pdf

I am curious to the answers to some of your other questions as well.
Take Care,
Doug

Mine showed up on Wednesday...Love it!
Focus ring, yes sir...zoom ring also...

And thanks for the reminder...need to get that rebate in.

And don't forget to register you camera with Panasonic...bumps your warranty from one to three years...

Tom Alexander February 20th, 2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Masters (Post 1015116)
I picked mine up from Amazon so if it ends up being B-stock, I can always exchange it. For the same price as B&H, I think Im ok with the camera.

Yup, your extra capacity battery should be taken care of (I ordered my HMC a couple days too early).

I also have an HV30. When you get the HMC, play with it a little bit and see what settings and/or scene files work best to match up the footage with that of the HV20. I have been playing with scene file 6 (Cine-D) on the HMC and Cinemode on the HV30, then adjusting levels in post. Thats the best I've found so far and works fairly well, but there may be an even better match. So try it when you get the chance and let us know.

And congrats, its a great camera and a big step up from the HV20.

Bob Thieda February 20th, 2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Alexander (Post 1015184)
Yup, your extra capacity battery should be taken care of (I ordered my HMC a couple days too early).

I also have an HV30. When you get the HMC, play with it a little bit and see what settings and/or scene files work best to match up the footage with that of the HV20. I have been playing with scene file 6 (Cine-D) on the HMC and Cinemode on the HV30, then adjusting levels in post. Thats the best I've found so far and works fairly well, but there may be an even better match. So try it when you get the chance and let us know.

And congrats, its a great camera and a big step up from the HV20.

So Tom...
Would you say an HV20 or 30 would be an OK B cam for the HMC150?
A second HMC would be out of the question for me.

John Neff February 20th, 2009 12:03 PM

Congrats! I have an HV30 and am leaning towards the HMC150 over the JVC and Mark II. I was hoping I could go from card to Cineform to AE for final outout. Would love to know if this is a valid work flow before I pull the trigger! I don't need an NLE because I mainly shoot stock video and for family projects I will use iMovie. I want the best quailty going into AE I can get. Good luck with your new cam and hope to join you soon

Tom Alexander February 20th, 2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Masters (Post 1015051)

I already have Neo Scene but am unsure if I need to go up Prosepct HD to use with Premiere CS4.

Neo Scene should be all you need. Prospect has a lot of cool features, but if you already have Neo Scene use it unless you find it is not meeting your needs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Thieda (Post 1015191)
So Tom...
Would you say an HV20 or 30 would be an OK B cam for the HMC150?

In my opinion yes, but I'd like to get everything dialed in before I tell you with certainty. The quality is without question, the only concern is getting the footage to match up seamlessly. I have been able to combine them pretty well with the settings I mentioned above and mixing it up with wide angle/close ups. I have only had the HMC for a month now, so I haven't really gotten down to isolating the best settings, but I'm working on it. I'm hoping others with both cameras will do the same and post their findings.

The HV30 is a fantastic little camera so long as the light is decent. I have had either the HV20 or HV30 since the day it came out 2 years ago, and I could not think more highly of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Neff (Post 1015217)
I was hoping I could go from card to Cineform to AE for final outout. Would love to know if this is a valid work flow before I pull the trigger!

This is the workflow that I use (Neo Scene with AE). With longer videos involving many cuts, I edit in Premiere then direct link into AE without rendering to actually create the video, always working in 16 bit in AE.

Ken Steadman February 20th, 2009 12:58 PM

As long as you have the appropriate processing power you will love your new HMC150 I find myself liking it a bit more every time I use it. I was really worried about it at first but my fears are gone now. Congrats!

John Neff February 20th, 2009 01:27 PM

Thanks Tom!! have been looking for that answer. So when I plug in my card via reader I can open the files on the card with Cineform. then save the files after codec change and edit in AE. Sounds good to me. Looking forward to the HMC. On a side not we names our 5month old Alexander, great name.

Doug Marcum February 20th, 2009 07:37 PM

Scene Settings post

Scene settings - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking

I haven't tried any, not sure exactly how to change them yet, but I am sure I will figure it out when I get comfortable enough with the camera.