DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   HMC-150 1080p artifacts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/145297-hmc-150-1080p-artifacts.html)

Joe Riggs March 7th, 2009 03:49 AM

HMC-150 1080p artifacts

When shooting 720p the image has no artifacts, however, in 1080p there is an obscene amount. It is so bad that footage is unusable (luckily it was just a test). I have seen the same artifacts present in other footage under a variety of conditions. Has anybody been able to shoot 1080 with the HMC and produce an image devoid of a ridiculous amount of artifacts?

Joe Riggs March 7th, 2009 04:28 AM

The plot thickens a little bit..I played back the footage in camera and it looks fine, no artifacts. So is something happening between the time footage is downloaded to computer and imported into NLE? The thing is I am not transcoding it into another format, just viewing it native through cs4.

Ron Evans March 7th, 2009 07:53 PM

It may be that the PC and CS4 just can't decode 1080 AVCHD without artifacts. 720P may be easier to decode.

Ron Evans

Abraham Texidor Sr. March 7th, 2009 08:38 PM

Are you using a Quad Core machine?

I found working with in 1080 a Quad Core PC is a must.

Jordan Berry March 7th, 2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Riggs (Post 1023789)
The plot thickens a little bit..I played back the footage in camera and it looks fine, no artifacts. So is something happening between the time footage is downloaded to computer and imported into NLE? The thing is I am not transcoding it into another format, just viewing it native through cs4.

What playback quality settings? I can almost guarantee that your computer is showing the video in a low quality so it may keep up.

Steve Smede April 5th, 2010 06:10 PM

I have yet to see footage from this camera in 720p on vimeo that does not have unacceptable amounts of artifacting. If you know of one, please post it here.

Graham Hickling April 5th, 2010 10:22 PM

Blaming a camera like the HMC 150, which produces excellent 720p raw footage, for artifacts seen in (hugely-compressed) streaming video is .... probably not right.

Edit: I reminded myself that Vimeo for a week provides submitted files for download ... so the extra compression applied by Vimeo may or may not be a factor here, depending on what was being viewed.

Guy McLoughlin April 11th, 2010 11:17 PM

Try transcoding your AVCHD video with the trial version of Cineform's NEO SCENE CODEC. NEO SCENE does a great job with my HMC150 clips.

Cineform Neoscene

Dave Partington April 16th, 2010 10:44 AM

Can you describe the artifacts more? I'm not seeing artifacts in 1080p, importing and editing with FCP 7.

I do see a little more noise from time to time, and considering that 1080p and 720p have to fit in the same AVCHD bandwidth, 720p is likely to hold up better when there is a lot of movement.