Buzzing noise from zoom at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old March 10th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Buzzing noise from zoom

Forgive me if this is normal, but it sounds really weird. I just noticed that when I zoom in toward the long end in manual zoom, I can hear a faint electrical buzzing noise coming from the center of the camera. It sounds like electrical noise. I know what the zoom servo sounds like, and this isn't it. It's like an electrical interference noise, and it continues even when I'm not touching the zoom ring. The further I zoom in, the louder it gets, even to the point where I can feel a slight vibration in the handle.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Dan
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Ok, in playing with it more, it's something with the autofocus. When in manual focus, it stops completely. In AF, it happens constantly. The noise is extremely faint when zoomed out wide, but the further I zoom in, the louder the buzzing gets, and the more vibrations I feel in the camera.

Again, anyone else experience this? It sounds defective to me.
Old March 11th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Shallenberger View Post
Ok, in playing with it more, it's something with the autofocus. When in manual focus, it stops completely. In AF, it happens constantly. The noise is extremely faint when zoomed out wide, but the further I zoom in, the louder the buzzing gets, and the more vibrations I feel in the camera.

Again, anyone else experience this? It sounds defective to me.
These random issues with the HMC 150 are what worry me. I've never heard of stuff like this with the A1. ;(
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Berry View Post
These random issues with the HMC 150 are what worry me. I've never heard of stuff like this with the A1. ;(
Well the XHA1 has some of the same problems when recording in a very quiet place:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...-noisy-a1.html

With the microphone being so close to the lens, many of the small camcorders pickup some motor sounds, some even pickup the tape transport. The solution is to use an isolated microphone mount.
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sobodos View Post
Well the XHA1 has some of the same problems when recording in a very quiet place:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...-noisy-a1.html

With the microphone being so close to the lens, many of the small camcorders pickup some motor sounds, some even pickup the tape transport. The solution is to use an isolated microphone mount.
I never once remember hearing my A1 zoom. With my HMC-150 a person standing 4 foot away could hear the thing zoom. But that's fine...
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #6
Major Player

I should have updated this thread a while back. I called Panasonic (very simple to get tech support, by the way) and they verified that it was in fact defective. I ended up shipping it back to B&H (again, a super easy process), and I'm currently waiting for it to come back in stock to get my replacement.

If I had an extra $3k sitting around, I could have ordered another and sent the defective camera back for a refund, since it was in stock at that time. But, the day before my exchange was finally approved, it went out of stock again, and hasn't been back since.

Does anyone know if it's a Panasonic problem, not being able to keep up with demand? or is it a B&H problem, because I have seen a LOT of smaller joints that have the camera in stock.

Regardless, the noise I heard was from a defective unit, and I guess any camera can have a defective unit once in a while.
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Shallenberger View Post
I should have updated this thread a while back. I called Panasonic (very simple to get tech support, by the way) and they verified that it was in fact defective. I ended up shipping it back to B&H (again, a super easy process), and I'm currently waiting for it to come back in stock to get my replacement.

If I had an extra $3k sitting around, I could have ordered another and sent the defective camera back for a refund, since it was in stock at that time. But, the day before my exchange was finally approved, it went out of stock again, and hasn't been back since.

Does anyone know if it's a Panasonic problem, not being able to keep up with demand? or is it a B&H problem, because I have seen a LOT of smaller joints that have the camera in stock.

Regardless, the noise I heard was from a defective unit, and I guess any camera can have a defective unit once in a while.
Dan that isn't a good situation to be in. Last I heard is...

"Their website has said "will be back in stock in 7-14 business days" for about 14 business days now. I placed my order 10 days ago and the sales person assured me it would be in stock sometime this week.

The live chat person today said they're hoping for them "any day", but they're are afraid to commit to anything except what the website says: "7-14 business days".

If they do indeed cause the backorder to go over the 15th, I should hope B&H would be willing to throw in the extra battery and SD card themselves, or else offer a gift certificate of equal value. I'm not sure."

-- Allen Ellis
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #8
Major Player

Yeah, I'm concerned about that too... B&H shipping after it's too late to collect the rebate. To make matters worse, their closing on April 8th til the 17th, so if they don't come in stock and ship by April 7th, we could be screwed.

I read on "another" forum (not sure if I'm allowed to post links here) that spec-comm told a buyer that Panasonic is aware of the problems and is going to be flexible with the 4/15 deadline, since so many are having trouble getting them in time, even though the purchase was before 3/31. I hope that's true. Or better yet, B&H just gets them and ships them out before 4/7.

As far as I remember, they went out of stock on March 16th, so tomorrow will be 14 days (unless they mean 7-14 BUSINESS days). We'll see. Good thing I don't need it for any particular shoot. I just WANT it now! Plus, I really want to get in on that rebate.

Dan
Old April 5th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #9
Major Player

Ok, got my replacement camera, and it's doing the same thing. Now, there was still something else wrong with the first camera because the noise and low-light performance on this one is waaaay better. Something was messed up.

This replacement camera, though, is light-years better than the first one, and not too far off from my pd-170. It struggles more than the pd-170, but not as much as I thought, and the gain is pretty clean to 9db. Even 12db isn't terrible at all.

Anyhow, the autofocus is still making that buzzing noise though. It must just be a camera thing because I've checked and heard it on 3 different hmc150's. You have to be in an extremely quiet and somewhat dark room, turn on autofocus and zoom all the way in. In a quiet dark room you can hear the autofocus motor buzzing around till it acquires focus, then it goes quiet. Move the camera and it buzzes again till it locks on. I thought that was a problem before, since no other camera I've ever used has made a sound like that, but I guess it's normal.

Can anyone else check their camera and see if they notice the same thing?
Old May 9th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #10
Tourist

Buzzing noise from zoom

Dan,

I hear the noise too. However, I can hear a slight faint noise when zoomed in all the way with AF set to Manual. Can you try zooming in all the way with AF set to Manual and see if you hear the slightest noise coming from the camera? Sounds like an electrical noise as you described.
Daniel Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #11
Major Player

Daniel, I hear it ever so slightly when on manual focus. Autofocus, though, is where it's much louder. And it's only there while zooming and composing. After getting focus and holding still, it goes away, but move the camera a little and it comes right back till I'm still again.

It happened to my first camera, and I sent it back after Panasonic said it was defective and shouldn't do that. Well, my replacement AND a second new one do the exact same thing, so I'm sure it's not a defect now. It doesn't cause any problems. It just didn't seem right.
Old May 9th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #12
Tourist

Buzzing Noise from zoom

Dan, thanks for checking. If you zoom in all the way- after you get done zooming try listening towards the front of the lens in a very quiet room. Do you hear a "very light" constant "electrical interference" noise? It really doesn't stop- It is constant. Again- this is even when the camera is on manual everything- even the focus. Let me know if you hear anything. Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #13
Major Player

I checked both my cameras zooming in all the way and listening in a very quiet room, and in manual focus, I don't hear a thing... nothing. In AF, I hear an electrical buzzing noise, but only when zooming most or all the way in and the AF is trying to do its job. Switch to MF, and I hear nothing.

Anyone else try this?
Old May 10th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #14
Tourist

If you listen at the front of the lens you might be able to hear it better. I am sure this is probably normal for the camera. I just was curious more than anything if you noticed it too. Did you put your ear in front of the lens? Or were you just listening in general? Sorry if I sound obsessive- I am just trying to understand the camera better and better.
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #15
Major Player

Ok, I tried again and you're right... I do hear it. It's VERY faint, but mine is somewhat intermittent, not constant. I hear it with both cameras. So weird, but must be ok and normal (although I've never heard that one any other camera).

Do you think it's a problem? Has it caused any problems with you? I just shot an entire wedding with it, along with several other non-wedding shoots, and not had a single problem.
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders