DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   HMC150 Wedding Highlight (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/145770-hmc150-wedding-highlight.html)

Mark Von Lanken March 13th, 2009 06:21 PM

HMC150 Wedding Highlight

This Highlight is from a one camera documentary shoot with an enhanced Highlight. It's the first wedding that I shot with the HMC150. It was shot in 1080/30p and edited in Edius.

The ceremony location was dimly lit, but to make matters worse, the B&Gs faces were in dark shadows. You can see how the congregation was nice and bright compared to the B&G. Notice when the couple face each other and how dark their faces are on the camera side and how much brighter their faces are opposite the camera.

I shot ceremony in a 30 shutter speed because it was so dark. I remember looking down at the LCD screen and then looking up at the couple and noticing how much brighter the LCD was than in real life.

At the reception I used a combination of on camera and off camera lighting.

In post, I color corrected the ceremony. I did not brighten the ceremony footage, just color corrected it. All other footage is untreated so you can see the true abilities of the camera unfiltered. I shot everything in Scene File 4. I was told that Scene File 4 is good for weddings or other low light conditions.

http://vonweddingfilms.com/preview/HMC150Highlight.wmv

Don Bloom March 13th, 2009 06:34 PM

Mark,
your comments about the ceremony made me think it was going to have a cave look. Frankly while I see some shadows due to the backlighting from the windows the footage looks really good. The content and the edit of course are typical VonLanken. Superb as usual.
This camera is really beginning to intrigue me-thanks for posting the clip. I have to say it looked like it handled the low light quite well.

Martin Wiosna March 14th, 2009 02:15 PM

that looked great. the low light performance looked good too.

thank you for posting.

Mark Von Lanken March 15th, 2009 05:38 PM

Hi Don and Martin,

Thanks for the kinds words.

Yang Wen March 22nd, 2009 08:40 AM

Mark: good stuff!

Have you noticed any problems with the audio recorded on the HMC? I'm asking because many people are experiencing audio pops and cracks when recording high decible sources and even with ALC turned on...

Randy Johnson March 22nd, 2009 07:21 PM

Mark,
At the risk of hijacking this thread I have a question. you said you shot in 1080 30p. I have the GY-HD100s whick shoot in 720 30p I have been trying to get rid of them because they have a "studdery" look which I blamed on the 30 fps. I kinda figured they were made for film guys and not weddings so I have been looking at the HMC-150 just so I can shoot in 60i. Do you like the look of the 30p? I can see where it will work for a hi light portion but what about the whole video? Do your brides like it? or notice it?

thanks
randy

Mike Petrucco March 22nd, 2009 10:55 PM

I am interested to hear Mark's thoughts on this as well.

Mark Von Lanken March 23rd, 2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 1031601)

Have you noticed any problems with the audio recorded on the HMC? I'm asking because many people are experiencing audio pops and cracks when recording high decible sources and even with ALC turned on...

Hi Yang,

Thanks. No I haven't. I keep the audio in ALC and watch the levels. If it is approaching the redline, I just back the levels off.

In the EventDV clips there is an example with a band in episode 3. I was not hired to shoot this wedding. I was just tagging along with a photographer friend to test the camera, so I did not mic the band like I would on a paid gig. I just used the on camera mic and walked right in front of the speakers without any problems.

Mark Von Lanken March 23rd, 2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Johnson (Post 1031810)
Mark,
...you said you shot in 1080 30p. I have the GY-HD100s whick shoot in 720 30p I have been trying to get rid of them because they have a "studdery" look which I blamed on the 30 fps. I kinda figured they were made for film guys and not weddings so I have been looking at the HMC-150 just so I can shoot in 60i. Do you like the look of the 30p? I can see where it will work for a hi light portion but what about the whole video? Do your brides like it? or notice it?

thanks
randy

Hi Randy,

If you are considering the HMC150 to replace your JVC HD-100s, I can think of several reasons why the HMC150 would be better for wedding work, but I never considered the ability to shoot 60i as one of them, but if 60i is a really big deal for you, then I say go for the HMC150.

30p and 24p will give the "studdery" look as you called it. Many people like the look because it looks like the rhythm of film. The HMC150 will let you shoot 60i, 30p and 24p.

I have shot 60i for 13 years, so going to 30p looks different. I do like 60i better for slow motion, but I can get adjusted to 30p, especially when not using slow motion. It may also depend on what speed of slow motion you select. Most of the time I am using 50% slow motion.

You can see footage shot in 24p, 30p and 60i on episode 3 of the EventDV review I did on the HMC150. I show examples in realtime and in 50% slow motion.

Randy Johnson March 23rd, 2009 12:53 PM

thanks Mark,
Im really on the fence, I dont know if it bothers my brides as much as it bothers me. Part of me wants to sell them both and take the plunge. Another part of me wants to wait for a year or two. I assume the HMC-150s are MUCH better in low light too?

Randy

Mark Von Lanken March 23rd, 2009 01:43 PM

Hi Randy,

I have only had hands on experience with the JVC HD100 one time, so I do not have a lot of experience with it. I feel confident that the HMC150 is significantly better in low light.

Is there a local dealer that you can do a side by side comparison with your JVC? What kind of a price can you get out of your cameras today? Then consider how much they will be worth if you hold off six months or a year. Depending on your business plan, it may make sense to make a move now, or wait a while.

Mike Petrucco March 23rd, 2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken (Post 1032063)
You can see footage shot in 24p, 30p and 60i on episode 3 of the EventDV review I did on the HMC150. I show examples in realtime and in 50% slow motion.

Mark- can you check the eventDV website. I see where they have posted episode 3, but there is no video there (at least for my web browsers). If it is there when you look, can you post a link?

Randy Johnson March 23rd, 2009 04:47 PM

I have been viewing my footage on a Intensity pro card that doesnt really support 30p so I have a HD spark coming next week Edius allows for more "wiggle room" with formats maybe i'll play with the frame rate settings a bit and see if I cant get it less studdery. I have learned to live with the cameras low light performance for now. I think id like to wait and save up cash instead of running into something if I can.plus NAB is next month.

thanks
Randy

Mark Von Lanken March 23rd, 2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Petrucco (Post 1032198)
Mark- can you check the eventDV website. I see where they have posted episode 3, but there is no video there (at least for my web browsers). If it is there when you look, can you post a link?

Hi Mike,

I just checked it and episode 3 was online here.
EventDV-TV.com

Brendon Costello March 24th, 2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 1031601)

I noticed this the first time I used mine. It came mostly from the wind (ALC on, mics cranked to 12:00 position). I just turned them down, but it got me worried. Have you heard about this problem as a serious issue?