DRS does not work in 24p? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old April 4th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #1
Major Player

DRS does not work in 24p?

Why on earth can't DRS (Dynamic Range Stretch) work in 24p? It works in 1080i60 and 720p60, but not in the lower frame rates! Bummer! It's kind of an interesting feature that has been rendered completely useless. Unless there's a work around?
Frederic Segard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #2
Major Player

nope it doesn't work.. I didn't do enough research before buying it and assumed it's a feature across all frame rates.. nope.. i'm disappointed as well.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #3
Major Player

I hope they correct this in a future firmware update. Is it the same with the HVX170?
Frederic Segard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #4
Major Player

In 24 FPS you use the knee setting, try the low setting and check out the reduction in highlight clipping, it's very effective. While it's not the same as DRS, it does compress the range by lowering the highlights values.

I don't know why it dosen't work in 24P, but it seems to be a technical limitation that can't be overcome.

Here is an old discussion about it:

HMC150's "Dynamic Range Stretch" [Archive] - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders