DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   How does HMC150 Monitor Audio Levels? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/179580-how-does-hmc150-monitor-audio-levels.html)

Jason McGovern April 9th, 2009 07:34 PM

How does HMC150 Monitor Audio Levels?

Wondering where one monitors levels on this camera. Anyone got any pics of audio level monitoring?

Mike Petrucco April 9th, 2009 07:42 PM

There of course is the headphone jack, but as for levels, there is a bar graph (or whatever you call it) level meter on the lower part of the LCD and EVF. In my limited experience with the cam, it seems to work OK. I'll be doing some more audio testing this weekend while setting up my wireless system. I'll try to grab a pic if I can. My good camera is out right now, so all I've got is a junky point-n-shoot lying around here somewhere.

Jordan Berry April 9th, 2009 07:54 PM

http://web.mac.com/bobdiaz/Site/HMC1...s/DSCF0011.jpg

Found this image with google. Notice the bottom left... That is the meter for the audio. 1 is input 1 and 2 is input 2.

Jason McGovern April 9th, 2009 09:08 PM

Many thanks. Do you have to order a battery charger separate like with some canons?

Jordan Berry April 9th, 2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason McGovern (Post 1073236)
Many thanks. Do you have to order a battery charger separate like with some canons?

There is an included battery charger. Depending on your situation it might be necessary to get additional batteries.

Wee Seng Tor May 1st, 2009 12:38 PM

I would like to know .. if the audio output from the monitoring port to headphone, is it after the pre-amp of before the pre-amp ?

since there are problems and many complaints on the audio, is it audible during monitoring ? or only after it is transferred to the computer ?

Jeff Kellam May 1st, 2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wee Seng Tor (Post 1136064)
I would like to know .. if the audio output from the monitoring port to headphone, is it after the pre-amp of before the pre-amp ?

After.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wee Seng Tor (Post 1136064)
since there are problems and many complaints on the audio, is it audible during monitoring ? or only after it is transferred to the computer ?

It's audible just like on any other camera.

FYI: The HMC-150 audio is on par with all the other mid-level cameras in it's class. However, the built-in microphones are poor quality in comparison to some other cameras in the same class, but you shouldn't be using the built-in mic anyway.

Wee Seng Tor May 1st, 2009 03:44 PM

So would you say that the same thing happens to A1, or Sony cameras too ? And the tendency that it happens are almost the same ? Or is it easier to get clipping with HMC ?

so if you're only shooting with the camera's audio, whenever clipping happens, what would you do ? correct it with audio tools like adobe audition ?
that's what I'm doing currently and I feel that it's taking me too much time with my DVX and this clipping happens very often . I'm using internal mic for ambient and XLR mic Rode NTG-1 shotgun. Clipping happens on both the channels.

I'm intending to take the plunge to HMC.. but don't wanna do this kind of lengthy audio editing .

Jeff Kellam May 2nd, 2009 12:43 PM

I and most others have never had a single audio problem with the HMC-150. If there were a known problem with the audio, I would have it repaired by Panasonic or be forced to move on to another camera.

You are saying your DVX has a clipping problem. You are also guessing the HMC-150 has a clipping problem? The clipping is most likely user error. It could happen on any camera.

I have used the A1 and HMC-150 together on shoots and I can definatively say the audio on both units are equivalent. The A1 has a better built-in mic and also has a decent audio ALC, both of which should never be used on any paid event.

Wee Seng Tor May 2nd, 2009 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
can you briefly describe how do you setup your shot, and some possible reasons why you are not having any clippings ?

My type of clipping / distortion problems with DVX :
=http://www.d7weddings.com/download/Temp.wav

Ty Ford September 18th, 2012 05:10 PM

Re: How does HMC150 Monitor Audio Levels?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam (Post 1136481)
I and most others have never had a single audio problem with the HMC-150. If there were a known problem with the audio, I would have it repaired by Panasonic or be forced to move on to another camera.

You are saying your DVX has a clipping problem. You are also guessing the HMC-150 has a clipping problem? The clipping is most likely user error. It could happen on any camera.

I have used the A1 and HMC-150 together on shoots and I can definatively say the audio on both units are equivalent. The A1 has a better built-in mic and also has a decent audio ALC, both of which should never be used on any paid event.

I realize this is an old thread, but I have just experienced audio problems with an HMC 150. It definitely did not want to take line level from my Sound Devices 442 mixer into the XLRs set to line level. The audio audibly clipped before it got to the red line. I dropped the 442 outputs from line level to -10 and recalibrated and got it to behave.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Denny Lajeunesse January 7th, 2013 11:50 PM

What kind of "line" level was the output on the 442. Their outputs are adjustable if I remember right.

EDIT: Sorry just noticed this was rather old. lol.

Ty Ford January 8th, 2013 04:41 AM

yes, old.

The 442 does have switchable outputs mic, -10 and line.

This is not about that. This is about cameras with poorly designed line inputs.

I've run across more than one model and am trying to document the problem.

Regards,

Ty Ford