DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   HMC151E: What Case? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/235547-hmc151e-what-case.html)

Steve Mellor May 18th, 2009 02:55 AM

HMC151E: What Case?

I'm looking for a cheap case for the HMC151E. What do people recommend? I suppose I'm looking for it to be under £40, preferably available in the UK (so I don't have to worry about import duty) and able to hold 3 batteries and the power supply as well.

I am all for using another type of case for this if it can be made to fit the task. I know what you're thinking, why entrust my camera to a cheap alternative? Well, I can't afford the expensive option and I think having something is better than having nothing in this instance.

So, what can you all recommend?

Andy Tejral May 18th, 2009 06:50 AM

That's not a lot of money. I am going to make a pilgrimage to B&H soon to look at bags in the flesh (canvas?). I've decided a want a Petrol product--largely based on looks I guess.

I'm going to compare these:
Petrol | PCCB-1N Compact Camcorder Bag | PCCB-1N | B&H Photo Maybe too small?
Petrol | PWB-HDV Wingbag (Blue) | PWB-HDV | B&H Photo Video I'm a little miffed that it says it was designed for Sony cams.
Petrol | PCUB-1N Camcorder Bag | PCUB-1N | B&H Photo Video They've also got a used one--don't anybody buy it!

But these are all beyond your price point. I'm not sure you can get, or would want, a bag for that much money. How much was your camera? Doesn't it deserve good protection?

Steve Mellor May 18th, 2009 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Tejral (Post 1144644)
How much was your camera? Doesn't it deserve good protection?

Of course it does but I'm not convinced that spending a fortune on a bag is going to give it the best protection. As I said, I can't afford anything more and I believe that it is better getting something, rather than nothing.

I was actually looking at something like this:

Rugged case (large) > Maplin

But the size isn't quite right (Internal height needs to be at least 7in/180mm).

Bob Thieda May 18th, 2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Tejral (Post 1144644)
That's not a lot of money. I am going to make a pilgrimage to B&H soon to look at bags in the flesh (canvas?). I've decided a want a Petrol product--largely based on looks I guess.

I'm going to compare these:
Petrol | PCCB-1N Compact Camcorder Bag | PCCB-1N | B&H Photo Maybe too small?
Petrol | PWB-HDV Wingbag (Blue) | PWB-HDV | B&H Photo Video I'm a little miffed that it says it was designed for Sony cams.
Petrol | PCUB-1N Camcorder Bag | PCUB-1N | B&H Photo Video They've also got a used one--don't anybody buy it!

But these are all beyond your price point. I'm not sure you can get, or would want, a bag for that much money. How much was your camera? Doesn't it deserve good protection?

Andy, I went with the Petrol PCCB-2N Bag for my 150.

It's a little larger than the 1N and works fairly well. I don't think the smaller bag would do it.

Bob T.

Tom Hardwick May 18th, 2009 09:18 AM

I'm with Andy and Bob: Petrol

Steve Mellor May 19th, 2009 03:50 AM

Baring in mind that I can't afford that, what are the other alternatives? There must be something out there, surely?

Andy Tejral May 19th, 2009 05:17 AM

Dunno, see if you can find a used Pelican? That's about the only thing I would buy used and expect it to work

Steve Mellor May 19th, 2009 06:54 AM

so, where could I look for second hand cases then?

Andy Tejral May 19th, 2009 07:39 AM

craigslist? ebay?

Steve Mellor May 19th, 2009 07:57 AM

There's nothing on Craigslist, or Gumtree. Ebay has one case but it's way out of my budget, is located in the us, has a ridiculous shipping cost (£125) and would cost an extra 15% in import tax.

I still can't believe that there isn't something outside the 'camera bag' sphere (which seams incredibly over-priced to my mind) which is, none the less, suitable.

Bob Thieda May 19th, 2009 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mellor (Post 1145316)
There's nothing on Craigslist, or Gumtree. Ebay has one case but it's way out of my budget, is located in the us, has a ridiculous shipping cost (£125) and would cost an extra 15% in import tax.

I still can't believe that there isn't something outside the 'camera bag' sphere (which seams incredibly over-priced to my mind) which is, none the less, suitable.

OK...back when I had my GL2 I used an insulated soft cooler, you know, like people pack their lunch in, but bigger.
It had two pockets on the outside and room inside for all my accories. I just made some dividers.
The insulation provided padding and protected the camera from heat or cold.
Plus, it didn't look like a camera bag sitting in the car waiting to be stolen.

Something like this:
NorChill 24-Can Soft Cooler Bag - Camouflage : Target

HTH,
Bob

Steve Mellor May 19th, 2009 09:05 AM

Thanks Bob,

That's definitely the right sort of thing. I think that's the right size for it too. Thank you very much. I hadn't thought about that. Now I just need to source one in the UK.

Steve Mellor May 23rd, 2009 04:51 AM

I thought I would post what I have chosen just in case anyone comes across this in the future.

I went and had a look at small suitcases and cooler bags and finally settled on a small, hard suitcase which had enough room for the bottom of the packing for the camera (although I shall replace this with foam soon), the camera its self and all of the accessories.

Current cost: £20

The foam should be around £20 as well by the look of it, which brings the total price to the budget :)