HMC151E: What Case? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old May 18th, 2009, 02:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HMC151E: What Case?

I'm looking for a cheap case for the HMC151E. What do people recommend? I suppose I'm looking for it to be under £40, preferably available in the UK (so I don't have to worry about import duty) and able to hold 3 batteries and the power supply as well.

I am all for using another type of case for this if it can be made to fit the task. I know what you're thinking, why entrust my camera to a cheap alternative? Well, I can't afford the expensive option and I think having something is better than having nothing in this instance.

So, what can you all recommend?
Steve Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #2
Major Player

That's not a lot of money. I am going to make a pilgrimage to B&H soon to look at bags in the flesh (canvas?). I've decided a want a Petrol product--largely based on looks I guess.

I'm going to compare these:
Petrol | PCCB-1N Compact Camcorder Bag | PCCB-1N | B&H Photo Maybe too small?
Petrol | PWB-HDV Wingbag (Blue) | PWB-HDV | B&H Photo Video I'm a little miffed that it says it was designed for Sony cams.
Petrol | PCUB-1N Camcorder Bag | PCUB-1N | B&H Photo Video They've also got a used one--don't anybody buy it!

But these are all beyond your price point. I'm not sure you can get, or would want, a bag for that much money. How much was your camera? Doesn't it deserve good protection?
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Tejral View Post
How much was your camera? Doesn't it deserve good protection?
Of course it does but I'm not convinced that spending a fortune on a bag is going to give it the best protection. As I said, I can't afford anything more and I believe that it is better getting something, rather than nothing.

I was actually looking at something like this:

Rugged case (large) > Maplin

But the size isn't quite right (Internal height needs to be at least 7in/180mm).
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Tejral View Post
That's not a lot of money. I am going to make a pilgrimage to B&H soon to look at bags in the flesh (canvas?). I've decided a want a Petrol product--largely based on looks I guess.

I'm going to compare these:
Petrol | PCCB-1N Compact Camcorder Bag | PCCB-1N | B&H Photo Maybe too small?
Petrol | PWB-HDV Wingbag (Blue) | PWB-HDV | B&H Photo Video I'm a little miffed that it says it was designed for Sony cams.
Petrol | PCUB-1N Camcorder Bag | PCUB-1N | B&H Photo Video They've also got a used one--don't anybody buy it!

But these are all beyond your price point. I'm not sure you can get, or would want, a bag for that much money. How much was your camera? Doesn't it deserve good protection?
Andy, I went with the Petrol PCCB-2N Bag for my 150.

It's a little larger than the 1N and works fairly well. I don't think the smaller bag would do it.

Bob T.
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I'm with Andy and Bob: Petrol
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Baring in mind that I can't afford that, what are the other alternatives? There must be something out there, surely?
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:17 AM   #7
Major Player

Dunno, see if you can find a used Pelican? That's about the only thing I would buy used and expect it to work
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:54 AM   #8
Regular Crew

so, where could I look for second hand cases then?
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #9
Major Player

craigslist? ebay?
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #10
Regular Crew

There's nothing on Craigslist, or Gumtree. Ebay has one case but it's way out of my budget, is located in the us, has a ridiculous shipping cost (£125) and would cost an extra 15% in import tax.

I still can't believe that there isn't something outside the 'camera bag' sphere (which seams incredibly over-priced to my mind) which is, none the less, suitable.
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mellor View Post
There's nothing on Craigslist, or Gumtree. Ebay has one case but it's way out of my budget, is located in the us, has a ridiculous shipping cost (£125) and would cost an extra 15% in import tax.

I still can't believe that there isn't something outside the 'camera bag' sphere (which seams incredibly over-priced to my mind) which is, none the less, suitable.
OK...back when I had my GL2 I used an insulated soft cooler, you know, like people pack their lunch in, but bigger.
It had two pockets on the outside and room inside for all my accories. I just made some dividers.
The insulation provided padding and protected the camera from heat or cold.
Plus, it didn't look like a camera bag sitting in the car waiting to be stolen.

Something like this:
NorChill 24-Can Soft Cooler Bag - Camouflage : Target

HTH,
Bob
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks Bob,

That's definitely the right sort of thing. I think that's the right size for it too. Thank you very much. I hadn't thought about that. Now I just need to source one in the UK.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:51 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I thought I would post what I have chosen just in case anyone comes across this in the future.

I went and had a look at small suitcases and cooler bags and finally settled on a small, hard suitcase which had enough room for the bottom of the packing for the camera (although I shall replace this with foam soon), the camera its self and all of the accessories.

Current cost: £20

The foam should be around £20 as well by the look of it, which brings the total price to the budget :)
Steve Mellor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders