The Ideal computer build for a Panasonic HMC 150 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old May 26th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The Ideal computer build for a Panasonic HMC 150

I'm investing in a new computer that will be used together with Vegas 8 and the Panasonic HMC 150. I'm wanting to build it around the i7 CPU and i want at least 1tb on my hard drive. What else should I get on this computer to make editing these files easier?
Leslie Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm looking at a i7 940 powered machine with 6GB DDR-3 ram, dual 512MB video cards, 1TG boot drive, plus at least 2 Seagate 1.5TB SATA drives, one for project files, one for backup.
I still do not believe that such a machine is necessarily powerful enough to edit AVCHD natively....but it should really cut down transcoding and rendering times, relative to my 3 year old Sony VAIO desktop.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Major Player

Well it is not so much the hardware that counts as how you configure your rig. Right now I have a Phenom x4 9950, 4 gig of ram and an ATI HD4850.

My current project was shot in HDV and I am editing natively in HDV without a problem, rendering time are adequate and even with multiple layers of effects Vegas still runs smoothly.

Try to have a light computer, no unnecessary processes, anti-virus program or any other memory hungry programs running in the background. Also try to keep your hard drive as defragmented as possible.

I have two computers, one for my personnal needs and the other one for editing. The latter is as barebone as possible, the only data that goes in and out are project files.

Phil
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Davis View Post
I'm investing in a new computer that will be used together with Vegas 8 and the Panasonic HMC 150. I'm wanting to build it around the i7 CPU and i want at least 1tb on my hard drive. What else should I get on this computer to make editing these files easier?
You will be fine with an i7 rendering HMC-150 file natively. I am using a Q9650 with no problems at all.

However, some folks setups seem to have major problems with the HMC-150. Don't know why.

Don't forget a file backup plan like an external 1TB drive of some type.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Edit: Deleted my post for smart assidness
Chad Nickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:57 AM   #6
Regular Crew

You won't need dual video cards unless you're gaming. I don't think it makes any difference to editing.

I'm custom building an i7 920 system as well. Definitely go with 1tb or more for storage scratch space. However, for a main drive, I'm going to pick up an Intel X25-M 80GB SSD Drive. Supposedly these things are screamers for data access times, so they'll be perfect for loading the OS and all programs.
Eric Pasarin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders