4GB fileswith HMC150 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old May 29th, 2009, 03:18 AM   #1
Inner Circle

4GB fileswith HMC150

What is up with the footage from the HMC150 being divided into 4gb files? I suppose it is a limitation of the cards.

When the files are joined together on the timeline there is a hiccup...slight but nevertheless it is there. Definitely not acceptable.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

It is a limitation in the way the card is formatted (FAT32). (Thanks Mac users!) I hope some day we have a recording device that allows us PC guys to select the NTFS format.

I do believe reading that there is an app that can recombine those clips perfectly, but I don't recall what OS, NLE, etc it is for. Do a search here and/or in DVXUser.com
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:59 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The more I play with these AVCHD files the more I dislike the whole business.

1. I converted with Cineform, and the audio doesn't match the audio.

2. There is the break which is intolerable. Someone must have a workaround for this.

I'll check in the Vegas forum.
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #4
Major Player

If you are transcoding, Im guessing you are using Vegas 8.0c and have a relatively slow CPU. A fast quad core CPU is mandatory.

With a fast quad core, Vegas handles the native files beautifully. Vegas 9a when it comes out will probably be a worthwhile upgrade path for better AVCHD handling, but Vegas 9 is not bug free yet and is not playing with Cineform well.

You have probably already figured out the 4GB transition.
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Actually Jeff I've not figured the 4GB transition yet.

When you refer to transcoding are you referring to the Panasonic software? Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on 720p footage which is what I recorded my first project in. That is what I'm finding. Please correct me if I'm wrong! If I'm right and it doesn't work on 720p footage the solution from this point on would seem to be to record in 1080i.

I'm using an i7 clocked at 3.8.

BTW, when transcoded what type of file is created?

Edit: I select clips in the Transcoder but the output area is greyed out, I must be missing something.

Finally read the manual, they 720p should transcode, I obviously am missing something.

Discovered the mts files need to be in the original folder from the card or they won't work.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; May 29th, 2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
What is up with the footage from the HMC150 being divided into 4gb files? I suppose it is a limitation of the cards.

When the files are joined together on the timeline there is a hiccup...slight but nevertheless it is there. Definitely not acceptable.
Hi Jeff,

I know what you are going through. When I first made the transition over to AVCHD, it was not as smooth as HDV. Now that I have completed the transition, I love AVCHD. It looks so much better than HDV. AVCHD does not have the compression artifact problems of HDV, and not more tape dropouts.

Some NLEs handle it without a problem, like the latest version of Edius, but many do miss a few frames. The frames are there, it's just that the NLE does not see them.

Until your NLE of choice solves the problem, there is an easy and free fix. Someone wrote a free app that joins clips together and then the missing frames can be seen by your NLE. You can also use a DOS command to join the clips. Here are a couple of links.

.mts clip join tool - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking

Dividing Clips - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Mark, just tried it, seems to work perfectly. thank you so much!
Old May 30th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Put the camera in the classifieds

Mark, I appreciate your support and regret not having a camera in common with you, but I put it up for sale. I decided that if I were to convert all my cameras to Panasonic with this AVCHD thing I would likely go bonkers.

Since I do love the tapeess idea, flash recorder approach should work so I'm looking at the Z5 or Z7. I'm also looking at purchasing hard disk recorders.
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:09 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Jeff,

You are welcome and I'm sorry it did not work out for you, but if you are in the middle of wedding season and doing three weddings a weekend with 3 cameras each...well I can see how learning a new workflow would be a challenge.

While I do transcode with Edius, the workflow is very easy and once I get a faster computer, Edius will transcode faster than capturing from tape.

I guess with your volume it's easier to justify putting out $5000 per camera to go tapeless by going with the Z5/Z7. While there are some features I really like about the Z5, I could just never get used to the way CMOS handles photography flashes, but since you have been shooting with the FX1000, the Z5 is a nice upgrade.
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:39 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Mark, thanks for your feedback.

However, the playing field has changed a bit since that last post, in fact just in the last few minutes.

The first footage I shot with the cam was 720p (which the Panny transcoder will not convert to avi), so I was stuck and gave up.

I shot some 1080i footage Friday with the Panny. I had been so discouraged that I never bothered to take the footage off the card until today. It was only experimental and the cam wasn't positioned well (it was unmanned also) so the footage was not important to me.

Anyway, I decided to transcode the more recentl 1080i footage this afternoon and wow, it really worked well. Unfortunately the white balance was way off, and the footage looks frightful. CCing helped a bit, but overall the footage isn't too usable.

Anyway, I am giving the camera a proper test this weekend. I couldn't set the white balance on the 150 for some reason (yes I was in manual mode) but for some reason it wasn't happening so I just left it in auto mode. I will practice with the camera this week and see what happens.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; June 1st, 2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:41 PM   #11
Major Player

If I were to go all out on a new camera system, I would go with the EX-1s and skip all the 1/3" sensor cameras and non-pro recording formats.

Im not too familiar with the Z5 and Z7 but I bet the controls are very similar to the EX-1.
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:17 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Jeff, I couldn't agree with you more. The EX-1 is definitely the way to go when one can afford it. 1/3" chips just don't cut it the same. No comparison.
Old June 24th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #13
Regular Crew

The 4gb files are a limitation of FAT32.

The dos copy command is:

copy 00001.mts /b + 00002.mts /b + 00003.mts /b + .........mts /b output.mts

it is that simple, and it DOES work perfectly for sony vegas.

-Adam
Adam Sturman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders