DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   anyone sold theirs for a 5DII? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/237972-anyone-sold-theirs-5dii.html)

Scott Hayes June 25th, 2009 11:52 AM

anyone sold theirs for a 5DII?

I have to say, I am REALLY debating it. I love my 150, but I shoot stills as well as video, and adding a 5D II to go along with my EX1 is really tempting, especially with the glass I have. I know some out there must be thinking the same thing...

Chris Barcellos June 25th, 2009 01:54 PM

Take care. You may find yourself and exclusive 5D shooter, with your other gear gathering dust on the shelf.

Scott Hayes June 25th, 2009 02:50 PM

it's that good eh?

Chris Barcellos June 25th, 2009 03:48 PM

Scott:

I do more narative type stuff. With mods to software coming out of Tramm Hudson, only real thing lacking is 24p. I have an FX1, an HV20, and have shot the HVX200. I was looking at EX-3 for next camera, but this think floored me with images coming off of it, and it continues to today. I have owned it about 3 months. Now if you are doing event stuff, or fast moving news, I would hesitate. Good as B camera in event stuff.
As the new firmware mods improve, it may become an A camera for those situations. And you need to shoot with a shoulder brace for hand held, or it will get crappy quickly.

Scott Hayes June 25th, 2009 05:12 PM

shoulder brace or monopod? those long catholic ceremonies would scare me,
but I cut those down. I do 95% event stuff.

Tim Polster June 25th, 2009 05:47 PM

Until audio gets more attention, I think the 5D MkII is not a viable alternative to real video camera.

Audio is so important.

The 5D framerate of 30p will not sync with video camera's 29.97 drop frame, so as an event camera, it does not make sense.

I own the 5D MkII and I am sure the video images are nice, but I would not think of it as replacing my other video cameras due to the lack of audio support and lack of full rez monitoring.

If they added a full rez live output over the HDMI, then along with a Nano Flash and an external preamp I would give it serious look, but only as a solo camera.

Chris Barcellos June 25th, 2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Hayes (Post 1163555)
shoulder brace or monopod? those long catholic ceremonies would scare me,
but I cut those down. I do 95% event stuff.

Well of course there is a tripod.

I guess Tim has not been following Magic Lantern story. With a Juiced Link, and Magic Lantern you will get excellent sound into this camera. Just check out our postings over there in the 5DII forum. I wager by next week or two, we will see a full fledged menu optioning firmware from Magic Lantern. Right now you have to select the sound settings each time you start Magic lantern. But at rate upgrades have been turned out it will be all together soon.

Tim Polster June 25th, 2009 09:15 PM

Looks like a step in the right direction, but I am still seeing more value in the HMC-150 as a package.

One quote from a 5D user on the forum here troubled me.

He stated that outside in sunlight, normal deeper DOF shooting, the camera was outshined by a Canon A1 or an EX-1.

If it is that close for interpretation, then why go through all of the hassle if this camera is only best at shallow DOF, low light shooting?

Granted, no other $3,000 camera can give you 35mm DOF, which is quite a unique look, but to replace a main video camera, I don't see it.

Tom Alexander June 25th, 2009 09:18 PM

The Mark II really looks fantastic. The concern that I have as an event videographer is its recording time. I can't switch cards in the middle of a ceremony.

Tim Polster June 25th, 2009 11:23 PM

What about shooting without a servo motor driven lens?

Manual zoom, focus and exposure or some of them auto :( seems like a handful, literally!

Still lenses don't use backfocus like video lenses do, so if you change the focal length, you need to re-focus.

Seems only suited for controlled shoots imho.

Chris Barcellos June 26th, 2009 12:00 AM

It takes getting used to. I have a 28-80 the would probably do fine for event hand held stuff. You know, at the cake cutting etc, but I agree, this takes a willingness to learn some new ways of doing things. But to me, the results I have seen from event shooters is fantastic.

Jeff Kellam June 29th, 2009 11:06 AM

Does the 5DII resolution still show well when the project is rendered to NTSC DV widescreen? 98% of my projects are delivered in the DV widescreen format.

For someone shooting with an EX-1, I can maybe see the 5DII as a lower cost alterrnative to getting another EX-1, although I would bite the bullet and get another EX-1. However, some people are doing fine with the HMC-150 as a B camera to the EX-1 even though the image is softer.

As far as your original question, you might as well ask if anyone has sold their HMC-150 to get a golf cart.

Scott Hayes June 29th, 2009 11:24 AM

i cut my EX1 and 150 together all the time,they look great. I was just trying to get a feel for maximizing my dollar for both my photo and video business, especially since I have a big bag of L glass to shoot with. the only way is going to be to rent one and see for myself.

Mark Hahn June 30th, 2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Polster (Post 1163689)
What about shooting without a servo motor driven lens?

Manual zoom, focus and exposure or some of them auto :( seems like a handful, literally!

Still lenses don't use backfocus like video lenses do, so if you change the focal length, you need to re-focus.

Seems only suited for controlled shoots imho.

A lens that doesn't change focus when zooming is called a parfocal lens. Many of Canon lenses are parfocal contrary to your post.

See http://www.rogercavanagh.com/helpinfo/30_parfocal.stm for a list of which ones are parfocal.

All of my Canon lenses are parfocal and I zoom without refocusing routinely.

Khoi Pham June 30th, 2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Alexander (Post 1163643)
The Mark II really looks fantastic. The concern that I have as an event videographer is its recording time. I can't switch cards in the middle of a ceremony.

They looked fantastic if there is no thin horizontal lines in the picture, a wide shot with small apperture does not look very good with all the alliasing artifacts, shalow dof shots looks good, I was one click away from buying then decided to wait for the next generation, can't deal with this alliasing, and it just doesn't make sense to buy a soft filter and put in front of a good glass trying to overcome alliasing problem right now.