HMC150 f/1.4 vs f/1.8 with Redrock M2e at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old July 9th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #1
Tourist

HMC150 f/1.4 vs f/1.8 with Redrock M2e

I recently purchased a HMC150 and love it! I'm looking into getting a Redrock M2e, but am unsure about which lenses to get. I love the Zeiss kit, but way too expensive. I was looking at the Nikon lenses as well.

Question #1) With the HMC150 (specifically), will I "really" notice a difference bewtween the f/1.4 and f/1.8 lenses? I do shoot indoors a lot with the iris open (HMC150 open = f/1.6 I believe). I realize that I will be losing a 1/2 stop of light with the 35mm adapter due to the flip module.

Question #2) What I don't understand is if the HMC150 lens is f/1.6 fully open, then how can I gain anything with a f/1.4 lens in front of it? It still has to pass through the stock camera lens anyway (which can only take f/1.6), right?

Question #3) Does Redrock have "follow focus rings" for the Nikon lenses? I only saw Zeiss rings on their website (unless I missed it).

Thank you in advance!

Jason
Jason LaBrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #2
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason LaBrie View Post

Question #1) With the HMC150 (specifically), will I "really" notice a difference bewtween the f/1.4 and f/1.8 lenses? I do shoot indoors a lot with the iris open (HMC150 open = f/1.6 I believe). I realize that I will be losing a 1/2 stop of light with the 35mm adapter due to the flip module.
The f/1.4 lenses are generally sharper and vignette less. Light loss wise, not a huge difference, but the quality in lenses is very different.

You're going to be losing more than 1/2 stop due to the fact that you'll have to zoom way in to the ground glass. In practice, you'll be losing about 3-4 stops than if you shot default HMC.

Quote:
Question #2) What I don't understand is if the HMC150 lens is f/1.6 fully open, then how can I gain anything with a f/1.4 lens in front of it? It still has to pass through the stock camera lens anyway (which can only take f/1.6), right?
You're not "gaining" anything, it's more of trying to minimize light loss. However you DO gain depth of field control with the iris, your biggest reason for getting an adapter. f/1.4 is very shallow (inches) if you want those type of shots.

Quote:
Question #3) Does Redrock have "follow focus rings" for the Nikon lenses? I only saw Zeiss rings on their website (unless I missed it).
Yes, their size A gear I believe.
James Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
I recently purchased a HMC150 and love it! I'm looking into getting a Redrock M2e, but am unsure about which lenses to get. I love the Zeiss kit, but way too expensive. I was looking at the Nikon lenses as well.

I get the impression that maybe you don't understand what depth of field is, and how factors such as aperture/iris and focal length affect it. Understanding this will provide an answer to your question.
Stuart Mottershead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #4
Major Player

I am in the same boat so if you could explain it ("what depth of field is, and how factors such as aperture/iris and focal length affect it"), that would be great.

Thanks,

simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders