System Error - repeatable test at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old July 12th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

System Error - repeatable test

I've gotten this error 4 times so far, it's very repeatable.

Stats: HMC150 , 1.19 firmware, A-Data 16gb Class 6 (max tested write is around 7 MB/s).

Here's what I do. Turn on camera. Insert card. Format card. It shows 100 minutes available of space. At 88 mins or 87 mins, I get this screen.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5237/img1684v.jpg

It's a photo of the LCD screen showing the error.

My next test will be format, record for 3 mins, then record for longer, see if it pops up again. Then try some other cards.

There seems to be no footage lost, just takes maybe 8 minutes or so to repair the card.

If this is a unique condition, then fine, I won't start a long record with this card, but.. this worries me, ya know ?
Greg Paulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'll add some information... I think the problem is the A-Data 16gb card.

I did the above, power up, format. Then I recorded for 5 minutes. Then another 5 minutes. Then recorded some more.. that 3rd clip died 3 minutes in.. with 88/87 minutes remaining on the card. Same problem as always.

I repaired the card, and kept recording. So far, there's 70 minutes remaining, and no errors.

This is all at 1920x1080 60i mode, highest quality.

When I switched to 720p , there were never errors.

I can't understand why the card dies when it does, I tested it for bad blocks, nothing came up, there isn't a problem with the card when used with a PC.

But it IS a slower card..it's rated Class 6, says 10 MB/s , but none of my PC tests come more than 7 MB/s. The Delkin card that B&H shipped works perfectly.

As long as I can rest my mind that it's the card, then things are fine. I've got a week before my next paid gig (flying to Chicago for 2 days corporate shoot) so I gotta run this thing through it's paces.
Greg Paulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Greg,

It sounds like the A-Data card is either defective or not compatible with the HMC150. I recently bought a few 16GB SDHC cards, and benchmarked them using the free ATTO disk benchmark utility. After running a bunch of tests, I settled on Patriot 16GB SDHC cards and now own 8 of them that I keep in a Pelican SD Card case. Using the ATTO benchmark, the Patriot cards I bought have a write speed of 13 mB/sec and a read speed of 20 mB/sec.

Patriot 16GB SDHC
Patriot PSF16GSDHC6 SDHC Secure Class 6 SD Card - 16GB in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

Pelican SD Card Case
Pelican SD & miniSD Memory Card Protective Case 0910-010-110 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

ATTO Disk Benchmark v2.34
techPowerUp! :: Download ATTO Disk Benchmark v2.34
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ya, something odd about the card. Only the 1920x1080i 60i mode does it. Other formats are fine. Great speed tool.. gives numbers closer to what these cards are actually rated at.
The Delkin tops out at 10.7 MB/s and the A-Data hits 9.7 MB/s . So odd. I'll pick up a couple of 8gb cards in the morning, I've got 4x2gb (12 mins) that work just fine as well.

I'm actually quite surprised and happy that the speed needs for this camera are not as insane as some other products. Those DSLR people spend HUGE money on fast cards. There's really no premium on Class 4 , and just a wee bit for Class 6.
Greg Paulson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders