AVCHD Downconvert to SD 4:3 Without Letterbox at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old July 16th, 2009, 02:20 AM   #1
New Boot

AVCHD Downconvert to SD 4:3 Without Letterbox

Dear :
I shoot wedding in my Aj- HMC 154 but the client need it on DVD 4:3 when I tried to make it by ADOBE Pr Pro CS4 I tried Adobe Encore but the movie appeare with letter box , and then I tried to make it with media Encoder the same thing ( black from the top and black at the end ) letter box
what I need to export movie to DVD 4:3 without letter box
any tools can do it lease help me
Alaa Ghuniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #2
Major Player

Your HMC154 shoots video in 16:9 format, so changing this to 16:12 format ( 4:3 ) is going to make everything look horizontally compressed and probably not acceptable to your client.

I often convert 16:9 to 16:12 ( 4:3 ) by cropping off the sides of the video, so that everything appears normal, but you really have to shoot with this in mind so that your framing still works when the sides are cropped off.

My editor is Sony Vegas Pro 9, so I can't really tell you how to do this with Premiere CS4.
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Use a free tool called MPEG Streamclip (Mac & PC). I have different profiles for converting HD footage to Mpeg2.

#1) Produces a 4:3 SD with black bars on top and bottom.
#2) Produces a 16:9 SD file, people will look tall if played back on a 4:3 set.
#3) Produces a full screen 4:3 SD image, left & right sides are cropped off.

I shot someone the other day, was told it was destined for plain old DVD to be played at a birthday party. I am NOT going to NLE something so mundane, so I adjusted my cropping bars for 4:3 (via Menu). Framed up the set for the 4:3 space. Recorded it.
Hooked up the camera to my DVD recorder with composite cable, set the output image to output with side cropping, cued up the clip, record & play.. bang.. done.
Greg Paulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Paulson View Post
Use a free tool called MPEG Streamclip (Mac & PC). I have different profiles for converting HD footage to Mpeg2.

Ack... that program doesn't read AVCCAM .mts files. Real shame
Greg Paulson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders