Is the HMC-40 a good B cam for the HMC-150? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old July 21st, 2009, 11:08 AM   #1
Major Player

Is the HMC-40 a good B cam for the HMC-150?

It looks like the HMC-40 could be a good B camera to the HMC-150.

1. It shoots in the exact same modes and has the same scene file settings, so it should match.

2. It uses the same batteries!

3. Same SD media of course.

4. The menus are the same and the controls are very similar.

We will have to see how the low light and picture quality are. If the 1/4" 3MOS sensors are scaled down form the HPX-300 1/3" 3MOS sensors, it should be pretty good and may have better bright light resolution than the HMC-150.

I need another HMC-150, but it may be tough to justify another 150 with the 40 about $1,000 USD less expensive. I thought about the JVC GY-HM100U briefly, but the HMC-40 price point kills the JVCs chances of going mainstream.

What did I miss?
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Jeff,

I'm getting one in August and I will let you know. Everything looks great according to the specs, so we will see. I would assume the low light abilities will not be the same, but time will tell.

When we were shooting HDV we used a Canon HV20 as a 4th camera. It worked well, unless it was really dark, so I see the HMC40 being used the same way, but it looks to be a much better camera than the HV20 and could be used as a 2nd or 3rd camera to the HMC150.

I could even see it being used as a locked down master cam for those using DSLRs. Long record times and XLRs would be a perfect compliment to the poor audio and short continous run times of DSLRs.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:14 AM   #3
Major Player

Mark:

I will be interested to hear how the camera works out. All the new cameras are actually at such a high level of performance, Im sure it's going to be pretty good, it's just a controls issue/preference.

I need another camera by August 12th at the latest. That cuts out the HMC-40 for me this time, so I will get a third HMC-150 for now. Plus, we are totally comfortable with the 150.

I had hoped to be able to hold off until something new was released, oh well.

Jeff
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken View Post
Hi Jeff,

I'm getting one in August and I will let you know. Everything looks great according to the specs, so we will see. I would assume the low light abilities will not be the same, but time will tell.

When we were shooting HDV we used a Canon HV20 as a 4th camera. It worked well, unless it was really dark, so I see the HMC40 being used the same way, but it looks to be a much better camera than the HV20 and could be used as a 2nd or 3rd camera to the HMC150.

I could even see it being used as a locked down master cam for those using DSLRs. Long record times and XLRs would be a perfect compliment to the poor audio and short continous run times of DSLRs.
Is there an update on this? Just curious...
Old August 19th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Blake,

That last I heard, I will not see one until the WEVA Expo next month in Orlando. I will give an update once I have seen the camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders