Ideas for the next generation HMC150 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old November 8th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #16
Tourist

The number one thing i'd like on the HMC is an Auto audio setting. I do a lot of running in and out of loud/quiet areas - this would be good to have, like I use to on my XHA1 - other wise i LOVE this thing
James Featherstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #17
Major Player

If the GH1 can have a decent LCD, why can't the HMC150?

I also second a dedicated Iris ring. And full raster CCD. 1/2" or 2/3" would be nice. (With the release of all these VDSLR's it could happen).
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #18
Major Player

I agree with Denny, the LCD should be much better though I have gotten use to it by now.

And a nice 1" sensor would be worth the money. :)))))

I mean the Canon 5D mark 2 has it so why not Panasonic! :)

Must say STILL love the HMC-150. Great camera for the $$!

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Featherstone View Post
The number one thing i'd like on the HMC is an Auto audio setting. I do a lot of running in and out of loud/quiet areas - this would be good to have, like I use to on my XHA1 - other wise i LOVE this thing
Just a thought, James. You could manually set audio levels separately: one for loud environments and one for quiet areas. You could then select which channel gives the best levels in your NLE and disable the one that doesn't. It's not a perfect solution, but...
Mark L. Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L. Whalen View Post
Just a thought, James. You could manually set audio levels separately: one for loud environments and one for quiet areas. You could then select which channel gives the best levels in your NLE and disable the one that doesn't. It's not a perfect solution, but...
I often do this. Usually for wild sound that may end up being needed in post, but this is a good option and make sure your ALC (limiter) is always ON.
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Lajeunesse View Post
I often do this. Usually for wild sound that may end up being needed in post, but this is a good option and make sure your ALC (limiter) is always ON.
Agreed. Sorry, forgot to mention that.
Mark L. Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:10 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Easier access to standby and PC modes. Why so much fuss and button pushing to connect a usb cable and transfer files to my computer? Holding the button down for 2 seconds to get it to switch is too much trouble.
Old December 4th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #23
Regular Crew

We got an HMC40 to test, and have decided that we'll be getting several HMC150s instead of the 40s to upgrade from our VX2100s. The low light just isn't good enough on the 40, but we love it otherwise. The only thing I can see the 150 lacks that we might miss will be the face recognition AF, it actually works pretty well on the 40 and it would be great if the 150 had it. It's not perfect, works better in good light of course, but you know when it's working and when it's not, so you can tell whether to trust it or go to another AF mode. Some might think it's a gimmick, but it can be rather handy.

Robert
Robert Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Face detection is certainly a gimmick and the reason is plain to see - it only works in the full auto mode. Who on earth buys an expensive 3 chip camera and then shoots in auto?
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Who's to say if they release face detection feature it in a new camcorder it would only work in full-auto mode? Sure, the AF would have to be in auto mode, but that's the only control that would absolutely have to be in auto, theoretically, right?

Robert
Robert Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #26
Inner Circle

It would be nice if the little face detection rectangles (and it cleverly rectangles more than one face if needs be) could be called up at any time on screen, then you could decide to select one of the rectangles, click the camera to auto focus and have it track that face.

As it is the 40 will only bring up the rectangles if the whole camera's in auto (maybe not the audio - I forgot to check). So ok, it locks onto and tracks the face within the frame, but changing backgrounds and foregrounds cause the exposure to fluctuate horribly - because of course the camera's in auto exposure.

Panasonic generally get it right on the facelifted model. The DVX100A was a whole lot better than the 100.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
It would be nice if the little face detection rectangles (and it cleverly rectangles more than one face if needs be) could be called up at any time on screen, then you could decide to select one of the rectangles, click the camera to auto focus and have it track that face.

So really we need an iCam? Since the iPhone has this capability already? :D

Seriously, if apple made pro cameras, you'd probably have to jailbreak it in order to use any pro features, lol
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders