DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Ideas for the next generation HMC150 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/240044-ideas-next-generation-hmc150.html)

Paul Cascio July 30th, 2009 07:55 PM

Ideas for the next generation HMC150

Now that I've had my 150 for about 6 weeks, I have some ideas that I would love to see incorporated into the next version. What feature and improvements would you like to see?

1. Line in - can't believe there is no way to input a signal

2. USB keyboard input - entering metadata is all but impossible right now. How about allowing a USB keyboard for metadata input.

3. Improved LCD - this is probably unanimous

4. Dual card slots

5. Full screen wave form and vectorscope with RGB Parade and a Histogram

Todd Kivimaki July 30th, 2009 08:48 PM

I've had mine less than a week, so maybe you can do this, but I would like to be able to dial in my temp for white balance, the xha1 I sold could do this, like I said maybe the hmc150 can but I haven't figured it out yet.

Paul Cascio July 31st, 2009 04:42 AM

Todd, not by color temp, but there is a One Push White Balance. Also a feature ATW, that continuosly adjusts for changing color temperature such as those that take place throughout a day.

Andy Tejral July 31st, 2009 08:49 AM

Overall, I love this camera. My only beef with the camera is that I'd like it to remember that I want the waveform turned on. I shoot trains--hard to tell when they are coming--sometimes I get surprised. When turning the cam on or switching back from play mode, it would be great if I didn't have to manually do this.

AVCCAM viewer on the other hand. PLEASE get rid of all those warning boxes! YES, I really DO want to copy the files to the computer. NO, I really doubt I'll ever use the edit feature.

Rikki Bruce August 3rd, 2009 05:01 PM

1. It has! Look at the switches at the front of the cam beside the XLR's - LINE or MIC

I think the colour balance is awful, a manual setting you could scroll through would be ideal.

Alex Mitchell August 3rd, 2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cascio (Post 1178888)
1. Line in - can't believe there is no way to input a signal

Wait, what? The XLR inputs accept a line signal.

Tim Polster August 4th, 2009 07:44 AM

Better low light.

Every wedding I have used this camera on has been shot wide open at the reception with my light helping out.

These cameras produce a nice image, but they are still a little light challenged using 720p60.

Yang Wen August 5th, 2009 04:44 PM

Lens focus mechanism that doesn't get sticky in low temperature. A return to the focus mechanism used in the DVX line is warranted.

Greg Paulson August 9th, 2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Mitchell (Post 1180538)
Wait, what? The XLR inputs accept a line signal.

I think he means Line-In Video (probably composite).

I miss that feature too, it was handy in some cases where I needed a copy of some footage I could only get while in the field.

Another fantastic thing would be a FireWire port for sending out a DV signal so you could record _something_ digital from the camera with a standard laptop/dektop. I do the odd studio shoot using a FireWire based switcher (recorded to DV tape or HDD), and sure wish my HMC150 had this function.

And the headphone jack (heck, two of them!) located outside of the big rubber flap. I don't plug anything else into the camera when I shoot other than the XLR's and the headphone. I don't like having those 'studio' connectors exposed to the elements when in the field.

Ummm.... I would like a record button under the lens somewhere. I find my finger wandering around there often when I want to record. I guess it's because on a tripod, right hand is on the handle , the left is at the lens, and after composing a shot, it's the left hand that tends to be free, but it's awkward to reach around the camera, and the top button is a bit tight to push unless you have the right leverage.

I'm buying a zoom remote as soon as I can, I'm used to pro lenses where I can access the zoom rocker with my left fingers. The current rocker design is only good for hand-held use, top buttons are again useless. Zooming while on a tripod is pretty hard.

Andy Tejral August 10th, 2009 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Paulson (Post 1203257)
I'm buying a zoom remote as soon as I can, I'm used to pro lenses where I can access the zoom rocker with my left fingers. The current rocker design is only good for hand-held use, top buttons are again useless. Zooming while on a tripod is pretty hard.

I actually bought and returned a Bebob zoom control. I've removed the handle from the tripod head and use my hand in the handheld position to pan the camera--other hand holds the tripod head too. Works well for the most part.

Rikki Bruce August 15th, 2009 02:47 PM

Ability to hold down a button and roll the IRIS slider to change color temp in kelvin (like I can get on my Nikon D700 DSLR)

Jeff Kellam August 19th, 2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rikki Bruce (Post 1180467)
I think the colour balance is awful, a manual setting you could scroll through would be ideal.

Rikki:

Adjust the base WB by using the color temp A and B settings in camera.

Next gen camera idea:

A full native resolution 1920X1080 progressive sensor rather than the current 960X540 1.5 offset sensor.

Blake Cavett August 19th, 2009 01:17 PM

I think this camera does rather well in low-light. I shoot 30p at 1/30th shutter and the images are quite nice with no strobing.

I went from the Z1 to this camera, and the only thing I miss is the Z1's viewfinder. That's it...

Rikki Bruce August 21st, 2009 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam (Post 1242481)
Rikki:

Adjust the base WB by using the color temp A and B settings in camera.

Not quite the same thing and not the same adjustability. Sometimes I might want to have a cast to things or not be able to nail the white balance using a card in a scene. Colour correction on a cooked recording is ok but you get noise ...

Luca Nicoletti November 7th, 2009 09:33 AM

Hello!
my ideal improvements for next-gen 150 could be:
Real manual (rather than servo assisted) focus mechanism
TRUE manual iris control on the lens, like the Sony EX1, and no more dials for it!!
Regards

Luca