DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Sennheiser we 100 G3 and HMC-150 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/314514-sennheiser-we-100-g3-hmc-150-a.html)

Simon Zimmer August 23rd, 2009 09:26 PM

Sennheiser we 100 G3 and HMC-150

Hello,

Anyone using the Sennheiser ew 100 G3 wireless mic with the HMC-150?

I just got mine today. The wireless equipment is not cheap but first tests sounded good.

I still would like to use my Azden shotgun microphone simultaneously so I will have to get the shoe mount that allows me to use both at the same time. Very cool that we can record on 2 channels though.

The audio was even easy to split up in Adobe. Imagine that!

My sensitivity on the wireless mics was at -36dB. That seemed quite low but the quality was still good. Anything higher than -30db was close to clipping.

Would love to hear other people's experience with Sennheiser and Panasonic and of course any tips?

Thanks,

Simon

Simon Zimmer August 23rd, 2009 09:29 PM

Sennheiser ew 100 G3 wireless mic:

Hi there,

I just got the Sennheiser ew 100 G3 wireless mic for my HMC-150.

My sensitivity on the wireless mics was at -36dB. That seemed quite low but the quality was still good. Anything higher than -30db was close to clipping. Is that normal?

Would love to hear other people's experience with Sennheiser wireless mics including any tips?

Otherwise, first impression is very good. Easy to setup and sounds good!

Simon

Steve Wolla August 23rd, 2009 10:46 PM

Congrats on getting such a fine mic set up. I have 2 EW100-G2's and they work just great with the HMC, for what that is worth.

Chris Harding August 23rd, 2009 10:52 PM

Hi Simon

Around the -30db or greater setting seems to be the norm for wireless lavs. I use the Azden on my HMC's and with the transmitter gain set to less than 50% I also have to set my levels down below -30db otherwise it clips too!!

I would say that your setting sounds perfectly normal!!

Chris

Simon Zimmer August 24th, 2009 10:21 AM

Sorry for double posting. That was not my intention.

Good to hear about -30db being a good level.

And yes I am excited about the wireless mic and shotgun setup!!!!

Sound is so important!!!

Thanks for the confirmations guys!

Simon

Mark Von Lanken August 25th, 2009 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Zimmer (Post 1261601)

...I still would like to use my Azden shotgun microphone simultaneously so I will have to get the shoe mount that allows me to use both at the same time. Very cool that we can record on 2 channels though....

Thanks,

Simon

Hi Simon,

You can mount this, bogen magic shoe

to the 1/4 20 thread in the handle of the HMC150. It's what I use and it's great to have two shoes for mounting accesories.

I have been using the Sennheiser G2s for years. They are a great bang for the buck.

Simon Zimmer August 25th, 2009 01:46 PM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the advice. I ending up getting this dual bracket:

B&H Kit Info

Should work too.

I can't wait!

Simon

Mark Von Lanken August 25th, 2009 09:01 PM

Hi Simon,

Yes, that should work, especially for a shotgun and wireless receiver. The big advantage with the Bogen Magic Shoe is that you can mount an accesory in the middle of the camera which helps distribute the weight, but your two devices shouldn't weigh that much.

Simon Zimmer August 26th, 2009 07:06 AM

Hi Mark,

What do you use when filming without a tripod?

Do you use some kind of video stabilizer support system?

I am thinking of getting one but not sure which one. There are so many.

Simon

Mark Von Lanken August 27th, 2009 09:11 PM

Hi Simon,

I shoot about 95% weddings or wedding related (training or promo related).

The primary time I am on a tripod is during the ceremony, that is unless I am the designated creative shooter. In that case I go handheld, Glidecam, and monopod.

For prep and establishing shots I am mainly handheld, with just a little Glidecam mixed in.

For the reception I go handheld, Glidecam and monopod (simulated crane shots) for establishing shots. Once the reception kicks off I use a Multirig Pro for the formal dances and toasts. The Multirig gives me the stability of a handheld camera, but more flexability than the way a monopod is traditionally used to stabilize shots.

So as you can see, I use several different tools, depending on the need, but all of my stabilzer devices have the same quick release plate, so it is very quick and easy to go from one to the other.

Simon Zimmer August 28th, 2009 07:50 AM

Multi Rig Pro:

Hi Mark,

Thanks for explaining how you film. Very interesting and your results are very impressive.

I have not heard much about the Multi Rig Pro. I will check them out and see if that would be an option.

Simon