DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Shoulder mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/421107-shoulder-mounts.html)

Randy Johnson September 20th, 2009 08:17 PM

Shoulder mounts

What are you guys using for shoulder mounts. I am having a hard time finding the right shoulder mount. When I bought my AG-HMC 150s my friend gave me a old shoulder mount which I rigged for my Anton/bauer batterys ( I use them for my wireless and lights) but I kinda struggle with it because the camera sits too low on it but I have grown fond of the the single handle on the front. I have been on the search for the perfect mount but I always fins at least one thing wrong with all of them. Either its the ability to go quickly onto a tripod or that will hold my Anton/bauer batterys or that puts the controls out of reach.

Simon Zimmer September 21st, 2009 04:43 PM

Hi Randy,

I bought the Indicam sled and love it. And when I have the money, I will get the vest and arm.

Yes, the sled is heavy but with some practice it is not so bad and the difference regarding stable video footage is AMAZING!

:)))

Good luck!

Simon

Randy Johnson September 21st, 2009 06:22 PM

Simon,
thanks for the reply for the type of work I do I need something thats more "run and gun" I love to be able to use a "glide stick" or steady cam but its just not practicle for what I do. I took the chance and ordered this to day i'll let you guys know how it works. boy I hope I didnt make another mistake with this! Btw im from Delaware where not to far from each other.
Cavision | RS1580D-SPE Shoulder Pad System Package | RS1580D-SPE

Simon Zimmer September 21st, 2009 07:21 PM

Hi Randy,

I have not heard of that one but I hope it works out.

I hear the following shoulder mount is also very good:

DvRigPro./ DvRigPro HD

I am in Easton, MD. If you are ever in the neighborhood, let me know.

Simon

Randy Johnson September 21st, 2009 11:15 PM

yeah that was the first one I was looking at but it was $600 I am going to TRY and go cheap from $200 we'll see.

Gareth Watkins September 23rd, 2009 03:00 AM

Hi Randy

I have the Cavision shoulder support and have used it for a couple of years with a Z1... it is well made and you can configure it to suit your style. It is quite a nice looking unit and doesn't look home made like some or overly big compared to the camera.

It definitely gives steadier shots, and is fits the shoulder pretty well. Do get a Manfrotto or other universal quick change plate though as is awkward to put the camera down or stow it away with the support attached.

I would suggest it would be better with double handles and a LANC control, as the single handle means it is less balanced. And the angle of your right arm when using the camera controls soon gets tiring too.

Downside, it is all quite heavy when attached, and as with all the small cameras it doesn't solve the front heavy issue...It supports the camera, but it is still out in front and is tiring to hand hold for any length of time. You can velco a battery weigh behind as there is space which hlps balance, but also increases overall weight.

On the advice of a mate of mine who is a cameraman for Reuters TV and uses the small Panasonic P2 camera for most of his work, I bought a monopod which is for me a better run and gun tool. I have used this in place of th eshoulder support in my last two assignments and found it more practical.

Regards
Gareth

Dave Blackhurst September 23rd, 2009 11:18 AM

Gareth -

One suggestion since you've already got the shoulder mount and the monopod - add a belt pocket of some sort (you can just stick the bottom of the monopod in your regular pocket to try this), attach the monopod under the shoulder support, and use the monopod as additional support (front heavy problem solved).

Randy Johnson September 23rd, 2009 04:08 PM

Thanks for the insider scoop im at work now but see it arrived at my home today so I will play when I get home. The thing I think im o.k. on is the
"front heavyness" I am going to mount a anton/bauer battery on the back which should give me all the counter weight I need.

Randy Johnson October 5th, 2009 12:43 PM

I got the mount and used it for a couple jobs. for me its pretty much perfect! The only thing I lost is access to my tripods panhandle. Cavision has grips for sony camera controls I hope they have plans to release a Panasonic one. If you in the market should definatey give it a look.