HMC-150 and filming bright lights: - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old October 5th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #16
Major Player

Great Information here!

I love this forum.

I learned a lot these last few days.

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #17
Major Player

It worked!

I had to film again in the room with the bright lights and I tried the method explained in this thread and it worked!

What a difference.

Thanks again everyone!

Simon
Old October 8th, 2009, 07:41 AM   #18
Major Player

Hello,

I have a question about the workflow of setting up a scene with the right exposure, etc.

I have learned the importance of using ATW, ABB and the IRIS in manual mode in the last week but in which order should I be adjusting these features? Also when (which order) should I adjust the N-filter? At the beginning?

At the present time I adjust the IRIS first, then the ABB and then the ATW.

I am wondering if this is the right order?

Simon
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Hi Simon,

It really doesn't matter when you set the white balance but I'd suggest it's probably easier for the inbuilt program if it's reading a well exposed scene rather than a completely blown out or completely dark scene. BTW, you can manually white balance off anything that has no colour, so that could be a white card, a grey street or a black curtain.

So firstly I set the ND filters. If I'm walking out into the sunshine I automatically click both NDs into place. If it's grey out there I just click in ND1.

I check that I'm set on the default shutter speed (1/50th sec here in PAL land) and zero dB gain. I have the iris on auto and my zebras on 100%. I raise the camera to look at the scene and lock in the auto-selected iris setting. Then, using my experience and with the help of the zebras, I fine-tune the iris setting, opening or closing the aperture to give the exposure I want to use.

Locking the exposure in this way (ND, shutter, gain and iris) means that should a white car or huge red bus cross my path, my exposure of the house I'm filming (say) won't fluctuate.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #20
Major Player

Great info!

And what about the ABB? Where would you do that?

Thanks,

Simon
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #21
Inner Circle

As a Sony man Simon, you'll have to tell me what ABB stands for. Auto black balance maybe? If so, you can probably ignore that if you've got the WB correct, but I'll leave it to a 150/151 owner to update me.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #22
Major Player

Oops, sorry about that.

ABB is for black balance adjustment.

Ignore it? Okay, one less thing to do. ;)

Thanks again,

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders