"B" camera for an AG-HMC150? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:02 AM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hartford, VT
Posts: 201
"B" camera for an AG-HMC150?

Good evening everyone!

I have a quick question for you all:

What camera would you recommend as a B camera for a HMC150?
(same price or lower, but please not higher [$500-$3400 range])

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

You all have a wonderful weekend,

Best Regards,

Ben Tolosa
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 04:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rotterdam, the Netherlands
Posts: 77
I am hesitating with my suggestion... but how about a second HMC150?
Same controls, same quality, same batteries etc.

I think it all depends on your requirements. If you are doing regular multicam shots a second HMC150 would be the best investment.
If you want special options that the HMC does not have (does it have any?) you can buy a cam that does (let's say a DSLR with video option for a shallow depth of field)
If you only shoot multicam once in a while, I'd go for a cheap AVCHD consumer cam, except if you also need sound on the second cam (interview cam for weddings), then I would choose one with a decent XLR input.

I shoot multicam shots with a separate audio recorder so sound is not an issue.
The HMC40 sounds promissing, but is (in Europe) alsmost as expensive as a HMC150.
Mario Vermunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mandeville, LA
Posts: 40
The best match would obviously be another HMC-150. However, if you aren't extremely concerned about the images matching perfectly, and want to spend less money...and you aren't doing very low light work...then the HMC-40 is definitely less money, going for $1995 right now. It's got different sensors, both the type and size, so I'm sure there will be some difference in the images. However, in good light the difference probably won't be that the image quality is inferior to the 150, some have reported that it's actually sharper. In low light, the 40 will be poorer quality though.

We have a 40 that we are working with now. But we do a lot of low light work, and we are thinking that a couple of 150 might be better for us. We'll probably keep the 40 for a backup and C camera in good light situations. Usually, we'll have decent lighting if we are doing 3 cameras.

Robert
Robert Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hartford, VT
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Vermunt View Post
I am hesitating with my suggestion... but how about a second HMC150?
Same controls, same quality, same batteries etc.

I think it all depends on your requirements. If you are doing regular multicam shots a second HMC150 would be the best investment.
If you want special options that the HMC does not have (does it have any?) you can buy a cam that does (let's say a DSLR with video option for a shallow depth of field)
If you only shoot multicam once in a while, I'd go for a cheap AVCHD consumer cam, except if you also need sound on the second cam (interview cam for weddings), then I would choose one with a decent XLR input.

I shoot multicam shots with a separate audio recorder so sound is not an issue.
The HMC40 sounds promissing, but is (in Europe) alsmost as expensive as a HMC150.
Dear Mario,

You are right, with another HMC150 I will have exactly the same of everything. I know that. But my question is: Which OTHER cameras can become good B cams for my HMC150 besides another HMC150 and the HMC40 (which is a great option BTW)?

Any suggestions? I have a list I will list in a few minutes when I reply to Robert's post...

THANKS!!

Ben Tolosa
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:15 PM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hartford, VT
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Welch View Post
The best match would obviously be another HMC-150. However, if you aren't extremely concerned about the images matching perfectly, and want to spend less money...and you aren't doing very low light work...then the HMC-40 is definitely less money, going for $1995 right now. It's got different sensors, both the type and size, so I'm sure there will be some difference in the images. However, in good light the difference probably won't be that the image quality is inferior to the 150, some have reported that it's actually sharper. In low light, the 40 will be poorer quality though.

We have a 40 that we are working with now. But we do a lot of low light work, and we are thinking that a couple of 150 might be better for us. We'll probably keep the 40 for a backup and C camera in good light situations. Usually, we'll have decent lighting if we are doing 3 cameras.

Robert
Good afternoon Robert,

I believe the HMC40 is a great bet. And that is what I will probably end up getting.

But any other suggestion besides the HMC40?

I did some research at B&H and I came up with the following list:

Panasonic HDC-HS300 $ 1,399.95
Panasonic HDC-TM300 $ 1,299.95
Canon VIXIA HF S10 $ 1,159.00
Canon VIXIA HF S100 $ 999.00
Canon VIXIA HF20 $899.99
Canon VIXIA HG20 $ 599.99

Which one of those you guys think is a good fit and why?

What do I want it for?

I want to eventually make short films, but for now I want to shoot scenes like for example the one between Pacino and De Niro on the movie 'Heat' (they chat over coffee at a restaurant table). I also want to do inteviews, and having two cameras will make the final product better (or more interactive). So, movie like is a plus for me.

Thank you VERY much Mario and Robert for you replies and I look forward for more advice.

BEST REGARDS!!

Ben Tolosa
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #6
Trustee
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bristol, CT (Home of EPSN)
Posts: 1,182
I have a $600 Sanyo (yep, Sanyo) HD2000 that I absolutely love. Amazing image quality, full manual control, mic input, can shoot 1080/60p and also 240fps and 600fps for slow-mo (albeit at reduced resolution). Did I mention an amazing image? That too.

The only things I don't like are the pistol grip form factor, and a very weak Optical Image Stabilization. Otherwise, an awesome camera. I couldn't believe how good this camera turned out to be.
__________________
Paul Cascio
www.pictureframingschool.com
Paul Cascio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #7
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 195
+1 for the Sanyo. I have the HD1000 and it is a great little camera.
__________________
www.speedandmotion.com
Duane Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tolosa View Post
Good afternoon Robert,

I believe the HMC40 is a great bet. And that is what I will probably end up getting.

But any other suggestion besides the HMC40?

I did some research at B&H and I came up with the following list:

Panasonic HDC-HS300 $ 1,399.95
Panasonic HDC-TM300 $ 1,299.95
Canon VIXIA HF S10 $ 1,159.00
Canon VIXIA HF S100 $ 999.00
Canon VIXIA HF20 $899.99
Canon VIXIA HG20 $ 599.99

Which one of those you guys think is a good fit and why?

What do I want it for?

I want to eventually make short films, but for now I want to shoot scenes like for example the one between Pacino and De Niro on the movie 'Heat' (they chat over coffee at a restaurant table). I also want to do inteviews, and having two cameras will make the final product better (or more interactive). So, movie like is a plus for me.

Thank you VERY much Mario and Robert for you replies and I look forward for more advice.

BEST REGARDS!!

Ben Tolosa


I have been shooting with an HMC150 and wanted a good B cam as well. ended up going with a........2nd HMC150. Its just such an awesome cam. The HMC40 was a close second.

The smaller consumer cams you mention are OK in a pinch, however they cannot do AFAIK, anything other than 1080/60i. The HMC40 and 150 both can do 720/24,30, and 60p.

But the real issue with the smaller consumer cams with me anyways, is the miserable interfaces they typically have. I have the Canon HFS10, got it for a trip to China I took in July, before the HMC40 was released....and can't stand the menu system. It is very hard to use if you have normal sized hands. Really cannot recommend it over an HMC40, certainly not after seeing the HMC40 at WEVA and DV Expo.

Anyways after weighing everything out, another HMC150 was the winner. They work together seamlessly. No learning the tricks of yet another cam system. Wide angles and batteries all work on both cams....as the battery will on the HMC150 and 40. That's a real money-saver, right there.

So if you really don't want to go to the expense of another 150, them I would say that tyhe HMC40 is by far the best choice.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hartford, VT
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
I have a $600 Sanyo (yep, Sanyo) HD2000 that I absolutely love. Amazing image quality, full manual control, mic input, can shoot 1080/60p and also 240fps and 600fps for slow-mo (albeit at reduced resolution). Did I mention an amazing image? That too.

The only things I don't like are the pistol grip form factor, and a very weak Optical Image Stabilization. Otherwise, an awesome camera. I couldn't believe how good this camera turned out to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Steiner View Post
+1 for the Sanyo. I have the HD1000 and it is a great little camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wolla View Post
I have been shooting with an HMC150 and wanted a good B cam as well. ended up going with a........2nd HMC150. Its just such an awesome cam. The HMC40 was a close second.

The smaller consumer cams you mention are OK in a pinch, however they cannot do AFAIK, anything other than 1080/60i. The HMC40 and 150 both can do 720/24,30, and 60p.

But the real issue with the smaller consumer cams with me anyways, is the miserable interfaces they typically have. I have the Canon HFS10, got it for a trip to China I took in July, before the HMC40 was released....and can't stand the menu system. It is very hard to use if you have normal sized hands. Really cannot recommend it over an HMC40, certainly not after seeing the HMC40 at WEVA and DV Expo.

Anyways after weighing everything out, another HMC150 was the winner. They work together seamlessly. No learning the tricks of yet another cam system. Wide angles and batteries all work on both cams....as the battery will on the HMC150 and 40. That's a real money-saver, right there.

So if you really don't want to go to the expense of another 150, them I would say that tyhe HMC40 is by far the best choice.

Thank you all for your recommendations!! I believe I am going to get a HMC40 since for 1999 bucks is well spent money.

The HMC150 would be ideal, but it is 1350 bucks more!! (ouch!!)

Thank you all again for helping me decide!!

Ben Tolosa
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:39 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network