DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   1st shoot with HMC-150 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/466724-1st-shoot-hmc-150-a.html)

Robert Turchick October 28th, 2009 10:55 PM

1st shoot with HMC-150

Been renting various HDV cams for a while and finally decided to stop giving money to the rental companies!

A few weeks ago I shot a music vid with the 170 and was blown away. The only hassle was we had 2 16 gig cards which at the resolution we shot gave us about 40 minutes. (or 10 takes of the 3:30 tune!)
So after much research, the 150 was in my budget range and 16 gig card yields 100 minutes at full quality? AWESOME!

Bought it last week and got to use it for real today and what a dream! shot about 60 minutes of vid with all sorts of subject matter.

Got back home and did the log&transfer in FCP...super fast, 20 minutes! (not even enough time to finish my lunch!) And the footage is stunning! Shot with the default 1080 60i. Even in the lower light footage, a couple of clicks of brightness in FCP and no discernible noise!

This camera simply rocks!!

I haven't been this excited over a new piece of gear since my first computer 20 years ago!!

Robert Morane October 29th, 2009 12:54 AM

Congratulations with your new cam. Enjoy it and may you make a ton of money with it.

Simon Zimmer October 29th, 2009 06:26 AM

The HMC-150 does rock. I looked at the 170 too but those cards were a deal-breaker! Just WAY TOO expensive.

I love the HMC-150. I am NEVER going back to tape.

Enjoy your camera!

Simon

Paul Cascio October 29th, 2009 06:27 AM

I love my 150 too. Might just be the best value of any prosumer camera.

Robert Turchick November 14th, 2009 10:06 AM

Last night ran a quick test on my new green screen and just for grins set up only one light. had my boys (3 & 4 yrs old) dance around. I stuck the footage in Motion (stock Primatte filter) and the key was darn near perfect off the bat and then in AE (stock Keylight filter) with the same result. I used 720 60p and setup a scene file with the detail level and v-detail all the way down, that's it! Didn't even white balance, just adjusted the gain. All I can say is this camera is going to be unreal when I do the proper setup of lights! And that's for a shoot tomorrow!

Dan Carter November 14th, 2009 11:18 AM

Congratulations on your successful choice. Isn't it great when a tool works right out of the box? I hope you have lots of fun and profit with your new HMC150.

Kaleem Maxwell November 17th, 2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Turchick
Got back home and did the log&transfer in FCP...super fast, 20 minutes! (not even enough time to finish my lunch!) And the footage is stunning! Shot with the default 1080 60i. Even in the lower light footage, a couple of clicks of brightness in FCP and no discernible noise!

Hey Robert,

What's the specs of your mac that you're using out of curiosity?

Robert Turchick November 17th, 2009 10:31 PM

it's an 8-core Nehalem 2.66 with 16 gig RAM and the ATI 4870...about as badass as it gets on the Mac side of the world. I wanted to (and do all the time now) run FCP, AE, PS and AI all at the same time so I could speed up workflow with motion graphics and HD editing. It does this without even a hiccup.