HMC70 or HDC-TM300? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old December 9th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #1
New Boot

HMC70 or HDC-TM300?

HMC70: Panasonic | AG-HMC70U Shoulder Mounted Camcorder | AG-HMC70U
HDC-TM300: Panasonic | HDC-TM300 32GB Full HD Camcorder | HDC-TM300 | B&H
(both links to B&H)

They have the same lenses and video processing circuitry. The only technical difference I see between them is sound processing, and if I choose the TM300 I can easily use a Beachtek (or equiv.) or even perhaps a simple XLR -> mini cable, since my only phantom power devices are shotguns except for an old Rode Videomic that's kind of battered, but an okay self-poweredAzden is only $60 or so, and my A-T wireless lavs can plug into either XLR or mini; I have cables for both.

SO - the TM300 is tiny, light, handheld. Can use it with a Modosteady (already owned) or a light tripod or just plain handheld, depending. Cost is under $1200. The HMC70 is big and impressive and shoulder-mounted. Not handy for tight spaces (in cars, for example), but XLR inputs are nice, and sure as heck will do a better job of impressing the mokes... err... customers. And it costs over $1600.

Whichever one I buy will be B-Roll or #2 cam to my HMC150. I'd get an HMC40 except it's a little over my budget right now, and I want my other cam to be handier for walkaround work than the HMC150.

HMC70 convenience factor: same batteries as HMC150.

TM300 convenience factor: tiny size, easier to take (along with HMC150) in airline carry-on luggage when I do out-of-town shoots.

I guess it really comes down to eyewash. Most of my local customers are small-business owners who don't know much about video. Do you think the shoulder-mount cam would impress them $400 more than a hand-held one? Or does the handheld look "professional enough" with a shotgun mic & a wireless receiver hung on it, with headphones attached?

Any advice before I plunk down my hard-earned?

- Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
Internet Video Promotion
Robin Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #2
Trustee

Instead of choosing an ancient avchd camera like the HMC70 I'd get the HMC150. It's has bigger chips, it adds 720p modes, adds a traditional focusing ring which is extremely important and it's codec is infinite time better.

I would also replace the TM300 with the HMC40. It's codec is much better, it adds 720p modes and you can buy an XLR adapter that allows XLR mics to be plugged natively into the camera.

Their obviously a bit more pricey.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #3
New Boot

Already have an HMC150

Paulo,

You'd be right if I was looking for a "main" camera, but I already have an HMC150. I don't find it as lovable in some ways as the Canon XH-A1 I used to own, but it's growing on me. I've learned that for the Web and local TV stuff that's my bread and butter, the 17Mbps "HA" setting is plenty good -- and gives me 4 hours of continuous recording time, which I dearly love when doing concerts and other live event work.

What I need now is something more suited for walkaround use.

And I did a little more spec reading and made my choice: I'm getting the HDC-TM300.

Why? While the HMC maxes out at 13 Mbps, the TM300 will do 17Mbps -- and has 32GB of flash memory built in, plus the ability to plug in another 32GB card.

The heck with the shoulder mount "pro" look and built-in XLR balanced sound. I'm getting the tiny one. If, even fully-accesorized, it doesn't look "professional" enough for some clients, that's just too bad. :)

Maybe one day I'll get another HMC150, but it's going to take a serious upswing in the depressed S.W. Florida economy -- and a lot more people wanting 2-camera shoots or I get enough work that I need to hire someone else who can work on his or her own -- before I even think about it.

For now, the TM300 will have to do.

Thanks,

- Robin
Robin Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Miller View Post
They have the same lenses and video processing circuitry. The only technical difference I see between them is sound processing...
The imaging blocks are considerably different. The HMC70 uses fairly low-res CCDs (relying heavily on pixel shifting), while the TM300 employs 2+ megapixel CMOS chips.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

So - if you go with the '300, you're going to have to consider CMOS rolling shutter artifacts. Stay with the '70, and, like the HMC150, you won't have to bother. They both use CCDs.

Depends whether your type of shooting is likely to be troubled with any of the CMOS 'rolling shutter' issues?.......
Roger Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Inner Circle

For shooting 1080i60, you can probably match the HMC150 better with the HMC70. Both use lower-res CCD imaging chips, relying heavily on pixel shifting. For shooting 24p, you're pretty much SOL with the HMC70 though. (Neither the HMC70 or TM300 can shoot 30p or 60p.)

Frankly, I think CMOS rolling shutter issues are just way overblown, by a lot of folks here. The banding effect, when there's a flash, is really noticeable with CMOS - IF you step through footage frame-by-frame (which is something you commonly do while editing) - BUT, most typical viewers don't do that!
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:55 PM   #7
New Boot

I tried the 70 as a B or C cam and was not happy with the results... When comparing it to a HMC150. I cant speak to the 300... but I would be aiming for at least a HMC40, if another 150 isnt an option...
Jon Kon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders