DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   SDHC Obsolete?!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/470635-sdhc-obsolete.html)

Andrew Kiu January 7th, 2010 11:37 PM

SDHC Obsolete?!!!

i currently using SDHC for my Panasonic HMC72 (PAL) version. and i come across with this SDXC card 32 GB up to 2 TB ?

Any Idea will the SDHC become Obsoleted in few more months when SDXC getting more cheaper more Speed & Space capacity? What happen to my Panny HMC72 used SDHC???

SDXC - SD Card Association

Marty Welk January 7th, 2010 11:43 PM

thanks for pointing that out.
same Size , same number of pins, same thickness, same voltage.
Then a hint that it "will benefit SDHC"
might be backwards compatable fully? need more data.

Over in the PDA hackers stuff, some people were able to get SD only based devices to work with SDHC through just drivers , some drivers didnt fix it. Many other devices like digicams didnt have any capacity to change drivers, so they were stuck.
So even when SD went SDHC some things were able to upgrade that were stuck back in old land. with these new cameras having ability for firmware update things, mabey they can update even if it isnt backwards compatable?

Andrew Kiu January 8th, 2010 12:28 AM

Marty
Thanks for the input.. seen like nothing to be sure & confirm. The fact is "IF" the SDXC getting more popularity, I Sure many SD Card developers will move to SDXC, then the SDHC will become "Dead END" soon or later. So my concern is those who are investing the SDHC camcorder will be in deep troubles.

or SDHC just a "jumping board" or "Transition" for SDXC?

Marty Welk January 8th, 2010 02:00 AM

rumor is that it will use exFAT64 file system.

Panasonic releases SDXC memory cards: Digital Photography Review
panasonics releace, costly

"Memory Cards can only be used in SDXC host devices, which support the SDXC Memory Card."

Chris Harding January 8th, 2010 07:04 AM

Hey Andrew

Can you still buy MiniDV tape???? Of course!! SDHC cards will be around a lot longer than your camera..by the time you are ready to upgrade there might be new developments but I certainly wouldn't worry about it yet!!!

It's still a LOT cheaper than buying tape!!!

Chris

Jeff Kellam January 8th, 2010 09:56 AM

SDHC will be obsolete only in the fact that all new devices will support SDXC as the primary media with backward compatability to SDHC & SD. All the 2010 laptops and computers with media card slots are also slated to recieve SDXC capability.

Until prices on SDXC come way down, SDXC sales will remain low.

There seems to be more to SDXC than than just increased capacity and speed, the reliability and durability seems to be addressed too. At least in the limited marketing speak released so far.

Lots of SDHC users recording AVCHD video have experienced data losses, although SDHC appears very solid for digital camera image only use. So if SDXC does truly offer enhanced data intergity and it's not a feature backward compatable to SDHC, SDXC will indeed quickly gain a footing.

Robert M Wright January 8th, 2010 01:42 PM

You can still buy VHS tapes. SDHC cards will be around for awhile.

Bob Diaz January 8th, 2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Any Idea will the SDHC become Obsoleted in few more months when SDXC getting more cheaper more Speed & Space capacity? What happen to my Panny HMC72 used SDHC???
A few months? More like several years.

SDHC replaces SD cards, but you can still purchase SD Cards. So, over the next several years SDHC cards will continue to be offered.

Bob Diaz

Robert M Wright January 8th, 2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam (Post 1469569)
Lots of SDHC users recording AVCHD video have experienced data losses, although SDHC appears very solid for digital camera image only use.

My guess is that the vast majority of folks having difficulty with SDHC, are simply unwittingly doing something incorrectly. First, there's plenty of counterfeit cards out there being sold to the gullible, then there's folks who can't distinguish between Class-2 and Class-4 (or Class-6) cards, and finally there's folks formatting cards in their computers.

I've had zero issues with multiple different SDHC cards. Of course, I purchased all of them from Newegg (very unlikely to wind up with a counterfeit) and they are all Class-4 or Class-6 cards, from manufacturers that are pretty well known, and I always format in-camera (and only copy from the cards, absolutely nothing else, with the computer).

Robert M Wright January 8th, 2010 02:35 PM

More likely than not, we will see an explosion in the use of prosumer level AVCHD camcorders over the next few years. AVCHD is almost assuredly going to be to HD what DV was to SD.

AVCHD offers image quality that roughly is, to the best quality HD recording formats more commonly used for broadcast, what DV image quality is to the best quality SD recording formats more commonly used for broadcast.

CPU power will be quite adequate for handling H264 encoded video (essentially like butter), and software support for editing AVCHD footage will be quite robust, in just a few short years.

More likely than not, we are going to have just a huge number of AVCHD camcorders, that record onto SDHC cards, and some being made even now, and certainly in the very near future, will still be in use a decade from now. When I look at the stunning images coming out of my HMC40, it's difficult to imagine it being obsolete in the foreseeable future really. Images shot in good lighting conditions, with that camera, will still look great on a television set in 2020. I'm sure it won't be long at all until we have very affordable AVCHD camcorders employing 3-1/3" chips that can achieve the same level of image detail (and compression quality) in more challenging lighting environments. This isn't HDV. HDV is to HD, more akin to what SVHS was to SD.

Broadcasters may look down their noses at AVCHD right now, but given time, it's going to be just like with DV. Eventually the reality, that AVCHD is capable of visually stunning image quality, will result in images from AVCHD camcorders making their way to broadcast without raising lots of eyebrows (as eventually happened with DV images).

SDHC cards will be around for a long, long time to come. SDHC will probably outlive me.