DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Braving freezing Florida for The Big Read (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/470757-braving-freezing-florida-big-read.html)

Sherri Nestico January 10th, 2010 01:40 PM

Braving freezing Florida for The Big Read

Videos: Big Read begins - Treasure Coast, FL | TCPalm.com

One of our local library systems is sponsoring a three-month program to encourage reading. The kick-off program was Saturday at a state park. It was supposed to be an outdoor event with Tom Sawyer-themed activities. With the rain and the low-40s temperature, it became an indoor affair at the park's learning center/gallery.

I used three methods for white balance: auto, 5600k preset, and manual setting the wb by aiming the HMC-40 at the wall. In the final product, I really can't tell the difference among the three.

I didn't use my monopod indoors - last two indoor assignments were really tight quarters - and I could tell the difference there. Grrr.

Paul Digges January 14th, 2010 12:07 AM

Looks good. Only part where it seemed off was the shot of the two ladies speaking. Seemed a little yellow there.

Chris Harding January 14th, 2010 01:11 AM

Hi Sherri

Nice job!!! You might say grrr but the average viewer won't even notice!! I saw a murder mystery movie the other night and gosh..the closeups were handheld and the top frame was wobbling all over...however when I questioned others in the room they said "what are you talking about..it was an excellent movie!!" If the content is good no-one bothers about minor technical issues...we only use those as forum topics so we have something to discuss!!!!

BTW: Today in Perth we are pretty close to 100F and the weather forecast is giving us a maximum of 107F for the weekend. ..... A wee bit warmer than you guys?????

Chris

Sherri Nestico January 14th, 2010 04:34 PM

Chris, you are right - I am my own worst critic.

Paul, the two ladies were in a classroom under horribly bright fluorescent lights. I was using auto wb in that case. I should have color-corrected in Premiere, but I tend to let things go when I'm working on deadline.

100 degrees in Australia? Wow. I remember those days in Florida...:)

Chris Harding January 14th, 2010 05:46 PM

Hi Sherri

I'm not sure if our cams use the same auto white circuitry but my HMC72 will correct the balance if I give it something to balance on (even in auto) If the EVF colours are decidedly off, I just zoom into anything white in the room and the auto-white will correct the colour!! It only take a couple of seconds for the sensor to pick up the fact that you are expecting it to correct the colour and you will see the image change in the EVF or LCD. Even in a Church at weddings if there is a decided cast inside, I just do a fast zoom onto a white tablecloth for a few seconds and the balance is corrected. Sometimes the sensor struggles to find a balance if you just give it a wide angle shot of what you are filming!!

It's worth seeing it the HMC40 has the same facility!! It will save you having to fight the offending footage in post!!and it's helpful when you just don't have any time to do a manual balance!

Chris

Sherri Nestico January 14th, 2010 08:41 PM

Yes, I probably should have manually white-balanced in the classroom.

I've got another assignment tomorrow - a roundtable discussion with faculty and students at a local school who have lost relatives in the Haiti earthquake. It's going to be in a classroom, so I'll have another chance to see how manual wb works in that situation.

Paul Digges January 18th, 2010 02:00 AM

Makes sense Sherri, with that nice whiteboard behind them, it would have been extra easy to just use the eyedropper tool and pick that as white too! All's good though, I'm hopefully picking up my HMC40 after the tax return comes in whoohoo!