HMC70 - Disbale Fade Function? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old January 12th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HMC70 - Disbale Fade Function?

I will be teaching an introductory video course using a bunch of HMC70s. I have previously used some SD PV-GS250, which many functions are very similar. It would regularly happen that the students would accidentally turn on the fade function (which to this day I wonder why they keep putting this function into cameras).
Does anyone know a way to disable this fader function? All it does is cause trouble.

Thanks,
-Jeff
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Jeff

The HMC70 series don't have a fade button at all. The fade function is menu driven and you have to actually press the centre cursor and then select the fade icon so it's almost impossible to "accidently" fade. The fade function, if the operator has turned it on, is auto-cancelled when the camera is turned off and is also turned off after recording!! It's highly unlikely that someone might turn it on!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I guess it won't be a course that focuses on manual focusing (couldn't resist the pun).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Chris, you underestimate beginners. I'm on your side where I know it's difficult to do and i don't think it would happen, but almost every time at least one persons footage comes back with fades in and out and none of the students understand what they did to do it.

And Robert.... well.... let's just say it was not my choice what cameras were purchased, and the lack of a focus ring was overlooked. We quickly figured that out and well, i guess we're going to have to teach the fundamentals of focusing with the stupid button controlled manual focus.
Old January 13th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Jeff

Yeah, I guess they do "fiddle" with menu settings and as you say some will kick in the fade which people don't use anymore. You will probably have to make sure they don't leave the OIS on while using the camera on a tripod either or kickin the backlighting. Luckily the HMC70 doesn't have a lot of gimmick controls, otherwise you might have a nightmare!!

I agree that Panasonic should have added a focus ring!! My old cameras were DVC-20's and you switch to manual and use the ring...simple and easy!!! however the audio setup is rather nice and the manual bit IS manual!! Just for interest the auto setting on the audio section has much better circuitry and just sets an initial level for you with an 8db overload as well. You can actually shoot in auto and there is none of that awful old AGC "pumping" when the ambient level drops!! Nevertheless the cameras are nice to use with quite a decent EVF and you can use the cursor controls even while using the EVF too.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders