Best 0.7X wideangle for the HMC40? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old February 5th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #16
Regular Crew

If anyone is interested, the Panasonic WA converter lens I found on eBay was the VW-LW4307W, which I guess is just an older version of the one Graham got. Sorry to hear your's doesn't have a "hood thread" either Graham. Maybe you can fabricate something, don't know how helpful it would be as these are definitely prone to flare, so something would be better than nothing. I got mine on a hunch, it was on an auction where the seller didn't know anything about the lens, only posted a photo of it. I think I paid $25 for it, but it didn't come with a lens cap! I managed to make my own out of a cover for a filter holder. I'm trying to figure out some way to fabricate a lens shade of some kind, a little harder task.

Robert
Robert Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #17
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

The Schneider Optics Century .5x for 43mm does vignette on the HMC40. The .5x does not vignette on most other 37mm and 43mm cameras.

The .65x that we manufacture does not vignette on this camera and is full zoom-through so we recommend it for this camera.

As a matter of course, we offer front filter threads on our attachments because many users want to buy polarizers and ND filters for these to enhance the professional look of the images. Diffusion filters will not work well on these cameras with adapters because of the short focal lengths but regular polarizers and ND filter effects work well.

Flare is a possible issue when using any wide angle adapter but has not been strongly reported by users to us or during my experiences using the adapters for sample images.

Check out our .65x here:

.65X WIDE ANGLE CONVERTER 43MM - Schneider Optics

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Ryan, has anyone at Schneider tested a 52mm-threaded Mk I or 58mm-threaded Mk II fisheye with step-up rings and the HMC40 yet? I know that there would be vignetting with the 43mm Mk II, but is there any with either of the above setups?
Chris McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #19

The 58mm MKII does not vignette with a setup ring. To my knowledge, we never made a 52mm MKI; it was always a 58mm which would vignette since that lens has intentional vignetting in the design.

For no vignetting, you would actually be better off buying our 46mm MKII and using a 46-43 step ring which I have linked below:

.3X ULTRA FISHEYE ADAPTER 46MM - Schneider Optics

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Pretty sure that you guys had a 52mm-threaded Mk I for the TRV-900, but maybe I'm wrong. I didn't realize that you made a 46mm-threaded version. I'll have to check that out.

Thanks!
Chris McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #21
Major Player

Ryan, would the 43 mm .5 vignette on the HMC40 with the lens zoomed in to about 25 mm (35 mm equivalen with the wide angle converter attached)?

Pat
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #22
Regular Crew

edit: nevermind, thought you were asking about the fisheye.

Last edited by Mike Sertic; February 12th, 2010 at 02:35 AM.
Mike Sertic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #23
Tourist

Century Optics 0HD65CV43

Has anyone tried the Century Optics 0HD-65CV-43 0.65x Wide Angle Converter Lens???

Here's a link for it:
0HD65CV43 Century Optics .65X Wide Angle HD Converter with 43mm Full Zoom Adapter
and
Century Precision Optics | 0HD-65CV-43 0.65x Wide | 0HD-65CV-43

Don't know why the pics are different, but anyways...
It has zoom through capabilities, but it goes for nearly $300...

What do y'all think?
Guisepi Spadafora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Reddy View Post
Ryan, would the 43 mm .5 vignette on the HMC40 with the lens zoomed in to about 25 mm (35 mm equivalen with the wide angle converter attached)?

Pat
The .5x is a single element adapter and therefore zooming in is limited to the range of the macro. I have been unable to get the vignetting to disappear with the HMC40 and the .5x. There is no vignetting with the .65x and the .5x does not vignette on the Canon HV30/40 for which we designed this adapter originally.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Old February 16th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #25
Major Player

Thanks Ryan.

Pat
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:05 AM   #26
Regular Crew

I have the HD-6600, it works fine, even with the 43mm UV filter on the camcorder plus the 72mm filter on the wide angle. However, if zoom in too much it definitely affect the picture quality.
Man Yip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #27
New Boot

0,5 WA for HMC-40

Ryan,

Can you recommend a 0.5 adapter for the HMC-40 that does not vignette? It can be a larger lens thread than 43mm (to be used with a step up ring). I am not interested in full zoom thru but rather in a VERY LARGE angle - as large as possible - to capture scenery. A filter thread at the front of the lens is a must for me ( for the polarizer).

I have seen your recommendation for the 0.65 WA for the HMC 40 but to me it doesn't look wide enough. Note that I don't look for a fisheye.

Thank you.
Senad
Senad Svraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 02:52 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Senad - looks like you should check out the aspherics here:

www.wittner-kinotechnik.de: Katalog

This is the German page, but Google will translate it into any language you choose, in seconds. The UWL II (Ultra wide lens) is probably the one for you. It's a 0.52x aspheric, so will reduce your zoom down to about 60% (still very useful) while giving you zero barrel distortion. Did you hear that?

You'll need a hood for it to avoid flare, believe me. And if I were you I'd opt for the M55 or 58mm version - that way you'll ensure they don't vignette even if you use the lens on other (larger threaded) camcorders.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 02:04 PM   #29
New Boot

Tom, thanks for the link. It's new to me, I'll definitely check on it.

Cheers!
Senad

EDIT: Looked at it. Doesn't seem to have a filter thread...

"On the basis of the lens body of Schneider UWL II Assembled Ultra-wide angle lens. Shortened by approximately -9.5 diopters, the focal length by almost half. 7mm base with 4mm focal length so super-wide angle to be achieved!
Suitable for many S8 and 16mm lenses. The application is in the macro setting. Metal threaded ring with UWL II lens, custom made, with remanufakturiert Cinetec Wittner"
Senad Svraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:27 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senad Svraka View Post
Ryan,

Can you recommend a 0.5 adapter for the HMC-40 that does not vignette? It can be a larger lens thread than 43mm (to be used with a step up ring). I am not interested in full zoom thru but rather in a VERY LARGE angle - as large as possible - to capture scenery. A filter thread at the front of the lens is a must for me ( for the polarizer).

I have seen your recommendation for the 0.65 WA for the HMC 40 but to me it doesn't look wide enough. Note that I don't look for a fisheye.

Thank you.
Senad
Senad,

We manufacture our .55x for the 58mm size that you can use with a 43-58 step ring. I tested this at a recent trade show event and it works great with the size not being out of line for the camera.

Check it out here:

.55X W/A REV ADAPTER 58MM - Schneider Optics

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders