DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   HMC-40 goes to the dogs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/472769-hmc-40-goes-dogs.html)

Sherri Nestico February 12th, 2010 08:09 PM

HMC-40 goes to the dogs

Ever try to shoot video of a dog rocketing through an obstacle course? Welcome to my world today as I covered the AKC-sanctioned dog agility trials at the local fairgrounds.

There was another videographer there, I presume shooting the trials for the dog club that was sponsoring the event. He had this huge contraption - I wish I had thought to get a shot of it - that looked like a ladder without rungs on top of a large rotating base about the size of a garbage can. It extended a good 15 feet in the air. And on top of it was a teeny Canon tape videocam. I found that hilarious for some reason, but he's probably the one laughing all the way to the bank. Animal lovers have deep pockets.

But I digress.

Videos: Canines compete in agility trials - Treasure Coast, FL | TCPalm.com

Chris Harding February 12th, 2010 08:27 PM

Hi Sherri

I love the way you break up any possibily boring video with one on one interviews..makes the whole thing a lot more professional!!
Sounds like the other videographer had a crane rig..I would have thought that although a few high shots might be nice, low level shots still add intensity to the action!!

You did a great job!! You need to hand out business cards to people at shows!!

Chris

Paul Digges February 13th, 2010 06:04 PM

Video looks pretty good Sherri. I agree, sounds like the other guy had a Jib.

At around 1:37 a ticking pops up in the sound and continues till the end of that clip. Also, what do you use to create your lower thirds? They are quite well done I might add.

Sherri Nestico February 13th, 2010 10:44 PM

Thanks for the compliments, Chris and Paul.

The video turned out much better than I thought it would. I was pretty limited as to where I could stand outside the ring and how much movement I could make while the dogs were running the course (apparently, the least little thing like a moving videographer can distract them.) So I stuck pretty much to one area - that's why you see a lot of shots of the dogs going through the slalom.

It was a great learning experience.

Paul, I just played my video and I don't get any sort of ticking noise. And our lower third was created by one of our web programmers who's a wiz at After Effects. He's really good.

Chris Harding February 13th, 2010 10:56 PM

Hi Sherri

Hmmm I don't hear any ticking noise after 1:37 either and I really cranked up the volume too ... maybe Paul would like to check it again????

Chris

Andy Tejral February 14th, 2010 10:48 AM

Great stuff!

No audio problems but when I expanded to full screen, there was a big black bar at the top and a good portion extended beyond the bottom--could just see the tops of the lower thirds--not text visible.

I gotta get my dog into agility or lure chasing.

Paul Digges February 14th, 2010 06:39 PM

Could have very well been my system then for the noise. I could have even had my iphone next to the speakers and it interfered.

And I suspected AE but thanks for confirming Sherri.