DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   MTS Merger (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/472970-mts-merger.html)

Ricco Jones February 16th, 2010 11:05 AM

MTS Merger

I'm looking to buy a panasonic hmc 150, but not real sure about the transcoding and audio dropouts due to 4gb thumbnails. I hear that mts merger would fix the audio droputs. I've been looking for the program but have yet to find it. Can anyone help???

Mark Von Lanken February 17th, 2010 12:08 PM

Hi Ricco,

Here is a link to download the merger tool.
http://vontraining.net/download/

If you edit on Edius 5 or Edius Neo 2.5 you do not need to merge clips. Those programs merge automatically without missing any frames. Other NLE's have probably solved the problem as well, but you can use the merger tool until your NLE of choice has a fix for missing frames.

Just to be clear...all of the frames are recorded on on the card, it's just a matter of how your NLE sees the footage.

Ricco Jones February 18th, 2010 04:48 AM

MTS Merger

Hi Mark, thanks for the download!!!
Do you know of a transcoder that will convert avchd files from the hmc150 that wont make the files so huge after conversion? If so, which one and do you have that program also? Thanks a bunch!

Mark Von Lanken February 18th, 2010 08:28 AM

Hi Ricco,

You are welcome. All of the programs that I know of do make the file sizes big. I know from my own experience, a typicaly 60 Gb wedding would come in around 300 Gb. With Edius Neo 2.5 that 60 Gb weddings stays that size, which means I can have several entire weddings on my laptops video hard drive. I am really loving Edius Neo.

What NLE are you using?

Ricco Jones February 18th, 2010 08:49 AM

Man you are the best with response times!!! Does neo come with the 150? And just to be sure, I would not have to do any transcoding with neo??? right? And 1 more thing, does the 150 come out the box ready to shoot? If not, what settings do you suggest? Judging by your work on your site, I value & trust your opinion! I will be shooting board meetings, depositions, parades, and probably a few weddings. Thanks Man!!!

Mark Von Lanken February 18th, 2010 09:11 AM

Hi Ricco,

Response times vary...depending on my schedule. :-)

Neo does not come with the HMC150. I saw it at Video Guys for $199. Make sure you get Neo 2.5 or also called Neo Booster. You will not have to transcode with Neo if your computer if fast enough. It works great on my Quad Core 2.0 laptop.

Additional items that you will want to consider are the larger batteries. The battery that comes with the HMC150 will not last very long. A shotgun mic if you are in really loud environments. Some wedding receptions get really loud. One other high priority item is Barry Green's book on the HMC150. It really helps to better understand the HMC150.
HMC150 Book Order Page

Graham Hickling February 18th, 2010 01:33 PM

Quote: Neo does not come with the HMC150.

Are you sure? I just bought an HMC40, from B&H, and Neo came with it..

(If needed, I could be be persuaded to sell you my unopened copy half-price).

Mark Von Lanken February 18th, 2010 03:55 PM

Hi Graham,

I wasn't sure, so I went to the B&H site and did not see Edius Neo listed with the HMC150. I believe the HMC40 comes with Edius Neo 2.0 (Non Booster). It would need to be upgraded to 2.5 (Booster Pack) to take full advantage of AVCHD native editing, but certainly worth looking into.

Rich Ryan February 18th, 2010 04:59 PM

If you go to Panasonic AVCCAM it seems to indicate that any AVCCAM camcorder comes with a free copy of Edius Neo. As I recall that promotion ends either at the end of this month or the end of March.

I got Edius 2.0 with my HMC40, but it was a free upgrade (via the Panasonic PASS site) to Edius Neo Booster. If you buy a camera now, I suspect it will ship with Booster.

Mark Von Lanken February 18th, 2010 05:08 PM

Hi Rich,

COOL! Thanks for the info.

Graham Hickling February 18th, 2010 11:56 PM

QUOTE: If you go to Panasonic AVCCAM it seems to indicate that any AVCCAM camcorder comes with a free copy of Edius Neo

That was how I read/understood it too. (That Pass site is hilarious - could they have possibly made it any more complicated to navigate??)

Rich Ryan February 19th, 2010 08:51 AM

Yeah, it pretty amazing that a company a large as Panasonic can not seem to manage a more user friendly website. When I ordered (requested) my copy of Neo Booster it was like it fell into a black hole. A DVD just showed up a month or so later. So if you do request the upgrade don't expect much feedback from them.

Graham Hickling February 19th, 2010 08:53 AM

Rich, can you briefly explain how the booster upgrade rquest works? Do I need to have actually installed Neo to request it? Or can I just use my Neo DVD (or camera?) serial number to validate the request?

The thing is I'm not planning to use Neo presently, and so haven't installed it, but I'd like to keep my future options open.

Thanks.

Ricco Jones February 19th, 2010 10:54 AM

Hey guys, this is what i found on the B&H site for the 150!

What's in the Box Panasonic AG-HMC150 AVCCAM Camcorder AC Adapter/Charger
2640mAh Battery Pack
AC Cord
DC Cord
Wireless Remote Control
Microphone
Eye Cup
Shoulder Belt
Component Video Cable
PIN-BNC Conversion Plugs
Ferrite Core
CD-ROM
EDIUS Neo 2 Software
1-Year Warranty (Expands to 3-Year Once Camera is Registered)
Guides and Manuals

Chris Harding February 20th, 2010 12:22 AM

Hi Ricco

There is a free Mainconcept Transcoder on the Panasonic website that does a good job for me. It will transcode only Panasonic AVCHD to either P2 or (what I use) DV-AVI in anamorphic, letterbox or even 4:3 cropped mode. It does a good job too and the price is right!!

Whatever you use grab this transcoder anyway as it's free!!

Chris