HMC150 Help Please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old March 17th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #1
Major Player

HMC150 Help Please

I have been thinking of selling my Sony EX1r and replacing it with a Canon 5D II and a HMC150.

I am a photographer and have the 1ds III and 1D IV bodies with lots of L glass. I do a few weddings a year that include very basic video, mainly solid video with a highlight show mixing video and stills. I do have a Sony PMC-D50 so have a good audio source.

I need a good video camera that can be unmanned on a tripod at the back of the church.
I feel the 5DII will give me a 2nd, or 3rd video camera, and also serve as a backup to my 1D bodies.

I use Adobe Premier CS4 to edit, and really wanting to stay under $4000 and tapeless, but need it to mix well in editing with DSLR's.

Would this camera fit the bill, or would you suggest something else?
Old March 21st, 2010, 11:58 AM   #2
New Boot

150 would work great for this...or HM40..?

From what you are saying is your requirements, I would say that the 150 would do the job fine. You also might consider the AG-HMC40 as a cheaper alternative, but I like my 150. They both have long running ability, so you can set it on a tripod and forget it, while you get your closeups with the Canon, or something like it.
Alf Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 04:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Possible trade?

I have a new this month HMC150 and about a 4 month old 5D MKII camera body. Actually I have two of them. I would be willing to trade them for your EX1. Have boxes and all accessories for both. Interested, let me know and I can give you more info.
Pete Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Denny,

I think you would be happy with the 150, we have 2 of them and an HMC-40. I recommend the 150 over the 40 if you are just going to have one. The 150 does much better in low light, and it's got a wider lens. You'd be frustrated with the lack of wide angle coverage of the 40 most likely (about 28mm equivalent vs. 40mm between the two cameras I think), and in low light you'd probably have a harder time getting it to look good next to the Canon video. You'll also love that you can get up to 3 hours of straight video on one 35GB SDHC card with either of these cameras. Just turn it on and let it roll. You will need an extra battery though, I think you'll only get a couple of hours of life out of the battery that comes with it. Get the big one, about $140, and you'll be good on battery life.

Robert
Robert Welch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders