HMC150 at Grind For Life Skateboard Contest- Lots of action footage!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old March 29th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HMC150 at Grind For Life Skateboard Contest- Lots of action footage!!

I had the opportunity to shoot some shots of the 2010 Pac Sun Clash Skateboard Contest, benefiting the Mission Valley YMCA and the Grind For Life organization. Grind For Life was started in 2004 by Pro Skateboarder Mike Rogers, a two time cancer surviovor. Grind For Life helps others with cancer.

Because I showed up with a nifty looking camera they gave me a VIP band which allowed me pretty much access to all areas, except the top of the X-Games half pipe! The settings were all manual at 720p, 60p 1/60 sec ND 1/64 chroma +1 and feathering the Iris as needed. I was using a shoulder mounted rail system. I am not sure who makes it though. It added about an extra 9.5 lbs to the camera and kept it pretty steady. It does get heavy after some hours of use. Audio was caught with the AG-MC200G, though it was later removed in post, save for the commentary.

Lots of Pros were on hand including Tony Hawk & Andy MacDonald. Hundreds of spectators turned out as well as a host of sponsers and dealers.

Video Link: YouTube - Pac Sun Clash 2010, Benefiting Grind For Life. Skateboard contest, Tony Hawk, Andy MacDonald
Pete Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 02:40 AM   #2
Major Player

thats awesome ,did you even have to pay to get in?
those effects you added were pretty bad though
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Tom,
Yes I did pay the ten bucks for admission, but it was for a worthy cause. Which effects are bad? all of them, speed, slo mo or the threshold effects?
Pete Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Major Player

i found the threshold and the lens flare were what caught my eye
and remember this is all imo :)
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Not bad, as a person who has watched a lot of skate videos, I was surprised how difficult they are to actually shoot the couple of times I've attempted to do it. For something like this you are obviously limited to where you're allowed to shoot from, but at the public parks, if you can't hop on a board and follow the rider for some of the longer shots, you'll end up with a lacking video.

The slow-mos weren't bad at all, however, the lens flare in the beginning was a little out of place, and while not a terrible effect the threshold one just seemed off. Maybe because it's something I've never seen in a skate video. They are usually pretty generic with fisheye being the only "effect" on them if you will.

Overall, cool video though and a great cause. Good work.
Paul Digges is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders