First impressions of the HDC-TM700 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old August 6th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #31
Contributor

Thanks for the response. I've never edited in anything other than 60i, so this one presents a challenge to me. For around $800 to get a 60p image with quality approaching some much "higher end" cameras, I'm intrigued. Being able to get it to 30p or 60i without losing image quality makes it even more tempting. For an interesting "extra" camera at paying shoots, I'd sure want to light the heck out of the scene though and fight my way through the menus to get full manual control.
Stuart Brontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #32
Regular Crew

I'm surprised there isn't more hubub about the TM700. I suppose that video DSLRs are stealing some of its thunder, but it really is a powerhouse little camcorder. The image quality in 60P mode is stellar, and the camera is better in low light than you might expect. Small, lightweight, plenty of manual controls if you want 'em. It's an ideal stealth camera.

I wish we had more frame rates (ie. native 24P) that retained the resolution/bitrate benefits of the 60P mode. Maybe Panasonic is saving that for next year's model.

Editing the footage is a bit of a bear because of the need for transcoding. I've had stability issues in Vegas when I try to mix 60P with other framerates & codecs (ie. Sony EX1 MXF files) on the same timeline. If you don't mind the necessity of transcoding, it's a great camera.
Old August 8th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
Could someone please give me a link to some Panny TM700K 1080P60 raw footage?
I would like to do both some quality evaluation and editing tests.
Thank you,
Bump... Bump... Bump...
And thanks, thanks, thanks...
Old August 9th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #34
Trustee

Every single clip in this thread was native at one point but you have to be quick because the original files will change to the streaming versions after a week.
Native 1920x1080 50p & 60p clips videos on Vimeo

Basically the files that were uploaded within a week are still native and files from Plus users are always native. You have to be signed in, in order to download the files.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Thanks, Paolo

Of the three that are still native, two clips are .m2t and one is .mts.

Can you please tell me why?

Thank you,
Old August 12th, 2010, 12:39 AM   #36
Trustee

I haven't used that camera yet which makes it a bit ironic that I'm the moderator of the forum but I've downloaded loads of those clips and the video quality is phenomenal.

It's MTS when it's being recorded directly to the card and if you use the software to transfer it to your computer, it's M2T. Their both basically native as far as I'm concerned.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 01:25 AM   #37
Regular Crew

One FANTASTIC feature of the TM700 is timelapse (undercranking). I find myself using timelapse on the TM700 on a daily basis. It works much like S&Q motion on the Sony EX1, albeit not to the level of specificity of the EX1. You can only timelapse in 60i, not 60p, but the results are still impressive.
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #38
Major Player

I have nothing technical to add, but I find the TM700 constantly upstaging my HMC150 in convenience and on-the-run use. The TM700 does fantastic imagery.
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Is anyone shooting sports with the TM700?

If yes, would you share your settings.

Thanks..Alan
Alan Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #40
Contributor

I have shot my first footage with the TM700 and am quite impressed with this quasi-prosumer/consumer little camera. I cannot quantify or compare to other cameras yet, but with 1080 60p and mainly auto settings, the clarity was indeed very nice. For personal use it will be amazing. For professional use, it will be nice for some more remote location shots in some of my industrial shoots. Definitely needs light to get the best footage. For $800+ it's a steal - especially if you can handle the 1080 60p footage.

I will be playing a lot with this little wonder in the coming weeks.
Stuart Brontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #41
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S. Michael View Post
One FANTASTIC feature of the TM700 is timelapse (undercranking). I find myself using timelapse on the TM700 on a daily basis. It works much like S&Q motion on the Sony EX1, albeit not to the level of specificity of the EX1. You can only timelapse in 60i, not 60p, but the results are still impressive.
Just so people who see this tidbit of misinformation don't get all excited about the wrong thing:

The TM700 does NOT under/over-crank or shoot "variable frame rates" - VFR. That's where the camera purposely shoots a faster - or slower - frame rate than the selected format to achieve either in-camera slow-motion or fast-motion.

"Time lapse" is not VFR shooting, it's a series of still images taken at intervals, not the same as over-cranking motion-picture footage.

There are no consumer/pro-sumer grade cameras that shoot VFR, the smallest camera that does is the HVX200 or HPX170. Most high-end ENG cameras especially the F700 series, Varicam, Viper and RED all have VFR options, but not "handy-cam" style cameras.

I have the TM700 and the time-lapse feature is very, very cool and produces amazing imagery but it's no replacement for real VFR shooting.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders