Who's getting an HMC80? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old August 6th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #46
New Boot

Thanks Chris; will be in touch when I get a camera. Many thanks for your sharing to date. You have a nice website by the way...
Paul Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #47
Inner Circle

Thanks Paul

If you are getting from Global Media then it gets to you pretty quickly!! Dunno about New Zealand but I didn't get charged any Duty by Customs but I did get slugged 10% for GST!! It was still way cheaper than buying retail ...My total outlay was AUS$2780 per camera and retail would have cost me AUS$4400!!!

One more tip... look for a Rode VideoMic for the camera..they are awesome but you do have to mod the cable for XLR .. I can give you the details if you get stuck! (I have a Rode on each camera and get really nice audio!) I bought mine used on eBay for under $100 but they should be less than $150 new. As with all on-camera mics, the built-in one isn't really good enough to shoot with!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #48
Regular Crew

I'm really excited about the HMC80. Its the perfect sub $3,000 camera really, especially for folks like me who currently shoot a lot of their narrative/cinematic stuff on HDSLR cameras and need something like this for field/documentary/ENG work.

And given its 24p and XLR inputs, its also good for "one man crew" narrative work. very commerical-shoot friendly.

Lots of talk about the af100 going on, but THIS is the panny i'm really looking forward to this year. It'll pay for itself the first month on the job.
Rick Presas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #49
Inner Circle

Hi All

I see that our local New Zealand guys have the camera in stock now!! However they have HMC80's not the usual HMC82 which is the model for our PAL models.... I wonder if the one they are stocking is 24P or 25p ????

Anyway, the price at AUS$3142.00 isn't that bad..I expected higher!!! That would be US$2864.00

Anyone seen any prices in the USA yet?????

Chris
Old September 16th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #50
New Boot

To buy; or not to buy...

Hello Chris

You'll be tempted to trade your 72's for the 80's; aren't you? (he, he, he...)
Old September 16th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #51
Inner Circle

Hi Paul

Did you buy your camera?????

Nope I'm keeping my 72's at this stage ...the thing that worries me is the NZ supplier has HMC80's NOT HMC82's so they might be the USA release camera and not our PAL Land ones so the frame rate might be 24P instead of 25P ...I'm not really sure as yet.

I still need to be convinced about the 3MOS chips...I have been a CCD person for 10 years now so I'm always a little wary after talks about "jello" etc etc. However I think the technology has come a long way!!!

Tell me what you decided to get ???

Chris
Old September 16th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi All

I see that our local New Zealand guys have the camera in stock now!! However they have HMC80's not the usual HMC82 which is the model for our PAL models.... I wonder if the one they are stocking is 24P or 25p ????

Anyway, the price at AUS$3142.00 isn't that bad..I expected higher!!! That would be US$2864.00

Anyone seen any prices in the USA yet?????

Chris
B&H in New York are taking preorders at $2699US.
Steve Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #53
New Boot

Hi Chris

No HMC 72 yet. Am able to wait for HMC 80 feedback; although I guess it's the same camera as an HMC 42. Thing is; if I get a 72, will I start wishing I bought an 80? Either way; I definitely want a shoulder mount!

Know what you mean with regard to GMPro listing; it does say PAL however. Perhaps you should email and ask them whether they have PAL HMC 80's?
Old April 20th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Re: Who's getting an HMC80?

I'm seriously considering purchasing this camera.

Has anyone got one yet, or had a chance to try one out?

Ben
Old April 20th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #55
Inner Circle

Hi Ben

I have had a pair of these now for nearly 2 months!!! Done about 8 weddings with them so far, plus a bunch of Realty shoots too. The new EVF is awesome!!! and the manual controls are really really good on the camera ....you can do almost everything from the outside.

I would say that the CMOS chips are probably sharper than the CCD's in good light but the CCD's on the HMC70 were still way better in low light!!!

If you love shoulder mount cameras like me and want the side of the camera to look like a 747 instrument panel then grab an HMC80 They really are nice and useful cameras but if you are shooting in low light you will need an on-camera LED light!!!

Chris
Old April 20th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris.

I'll plan on adding an on camera light to my order.

I plan on using this for weddings, graduations, and other events including school and church activities.

Any other accessories you would recommend?
How's the built in mic?
Should I invest in a shotgun mic?
Old April 21st, 2011, 01:17 AM   #57
Inner Circle

Hi Ben

Order a mic at the same time..all built-in mics are useless!!! I run a Rode Videomic on each camera and they are awesome!!! You will have to get either a 1/8" to XLR adapter or rewire the mic...Mine are rewired with new cable and it looks a lot neater!!! The curly cord looks messy...it's simple to do if you or someone you know is handy with a soldering iron!!

I'm using the CN-160 LED light you will find on eBay (it also has neat barn doors) and are really good value ...They run on AA's but rather get a CGR Panasonic camcorder battery (just a generic one) as it lasts a lot longer and is less fiddly!!

Any questions when you get your camera???? Just ask!!!

Chris
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:47 PM   #58
Regular Crew

So the hmc70 was better in low light? Is it a substantial difference? I have a HMC40 and love the camera but the low light sucks. I still need to replace my old DVC60 and want to stick shoulder cam. My second shooter runs mostly in auto mode so the 70 might still be an option.
Adam Haro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:00 PM   #59
Inner Circle

Hi Adam

It's close actually but I think the 70 still wins....in very low light the CCD's seem to fare better than the 3MOS chips but then again the difference in image sharpness between the two is clearly visible. The 80 is way sharper!!!! Also, trust me, once you have used the new EVF you will wonder how you managed with the tiny "tunnel" EVF that the 70 had. With the 80 and the LCD in the EVF you have an incredibily bright and big image all the time!!! I absolutely love the EVF.

The other huge advantage is that all the controls are on the outside...I only use the menu to format cards!! Everything else can be done on the camera....when you need to adjust something fast, it's a life-saver.

On my side of the pond the 70's are no longer available new!!

Chris
Old May 1st, 2011, 03:24 AM   #60
Regular Crew

Well I ended up with a HMC70. Thanks for all the info Chris. The 80 definitely looks like a great camera but budget and a pressing need won. I got a real good deal on a used one that was only used for a couple dozen hours. I figure with the HMC70, the little HMC40, and the Canon T3i I picked up a couple months ago we should be able to create some nice wedding videos. I can finally sell my old DVC60 now.
Adam Haro is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders