DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Who's getting an HMC80? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/476695-whos-getting-hmc80.html)

Chris Harding April 12th, 2010 06:16 PM

Who's getting an HMC80?

Hi All

Panasonic's new camera which is due for release in September this year is the HMC80. I'm currently running HMC72's so this looks like a big shoulder-mount HMC40. It has the advantages of the 150 (like XLR audio etc etc, but has the extra advantage of the ENG styling.
Panny blurb sheet link is below... I definately want two of these !!!

Panasonic USA Pressroom

Chris

Steve Struthers April 13th, 2010 05:52 AM

I want one! This is what the HMC40 should have been. Quite a long time ago, I had considered buying an AG-HMC70, but several things stopped me:

1) Price.

2) Lack of manual focus/zoom

3) Lack of 24/30p shooting modes

4) Wonky location of LCD panel

5) Single-chip imager derived from a consumer-grade cam

It looks like the HMC80 addresses all of these issues and more - and here's hoping the viewfinder is a full 2.7" when the eyepiece is swung away.

Panasonic has a winner on its hands with this one, and while $2895 may be the list price, on the street it will probably sell for closer to $2395, which puts it right into the HMC40's ballpark. Wedding/event videographers will snap these up by the gazillions.

Right now, Canon has a huge gap between its consumer-grade and pro-grade cams; why aren't they building something like the HMC80 to satisfy the needs of advanced prosumer camera users?

Abraham Texidor Sr. April 13th, 2010 07:20 AM

I have to agree with you both Panasonic has got it right with the HMC80. I recently assinged my HMC70 to backup duty. I'm working with the Sony NX5U and love it. Anyone with an HMC70 will want to get the HMC80.

John Wiley April 13th, 2010 07:34 AM

This will probably be my next primary camera upgrade. Do I wish I could afford an EX1r instead? Yes; but this camera seems to offer a hell of a lot of features at a very attractive price.

The only downside to this cam is the 1/4 inch chips but I'm coming from the FX7 so it should be very similar in low light to what I'm already dealing with.

Assuming the Aussie pricing doesn't get blown completely out of proportion it should come in at under AU$4000 - with very little competition price-wise. Hopefully it will make it out by the Srping Wedding season!

Chris Harding April 13th, 2010 08:00 AM

Hi John

There don't seem to be any image sensor specs as yet but it makes sense that they will use the HMC40 3MOS sensors. All that was mentioned was they are 3 megapixels which is higher than the 70's 2.2megapixels!!

Our version will be the HMC82 (PAL) and based on the HMC72, I would suspect that they would be way over $4K from Panasonic or VideoGuys but certainly in the low $3000's if you buy from GlobalMediaPro in New Zealand ... Been dealing with them for years and they are A-OK!!! I would think that, based on the Aus release of the HMC42, the 82 should only be a few month behind the USA release date of September!

Could be here by Christmas but I'm usually so busy I have to do camera replacements in June when it's wet and cold here!!!

Chris

Thomas Smet April 13th, 2010 09:25 AM

This is going to be one heck of a camera although I'm shocked there hasn't been more excitement about it. There is a post in the news section here and there has been little to no discussion. I would have thought this camera would have been a dream for a lot of people.

The HMC40 is an amazing little camera and I am willing to bet my life on the HMC80 using the same chips. In fact I think it is a HMC40 in a larger shell. I think they even took the guts from the XLR adapter from the HMC40 and put then in the back of the HMC80.

We all know the image quality is equal to cameras costing 4x as much in decent lighting. Now the camera also offers a large form factor for better camera handling and a more professional look with your clients. If you can use lights for the type of shooting you do then this is going to be a very professional camera.

Steve Struthers April 13th, 2010 04:17 PM

Thomas Smet writes:

"The HMC40 is an amazing little camera and I am willing to bet my life on the HMC80 using the same chips. In fact I think it is a HMC40 in a larger shell. I think they even took the guts from the XLR adapter from the HMC40 and put then in the back of the HMC80."

Well, the official news release from Panasonic says the HMC-80 will be capable of taking 10.6-megapixel stills, and the HMC-40 has the same capability. Looking at some of the photos of the new camcorder, I can see that the focus ring looks exactly like the one on the HMC-40. So do the manual focus/iris controls.

So, with those little bits of information in mind, I think you're right, we're looking at an HMC-40 in an HMC-80 body. While the HMC-70 is a decent camera in its own right, the HMC-80 will be light-years ahead in terms of quality and capability.

Chris Harding April 13th, 2010 04:57 PM

I suspect that the XLR will stay as it is. My HMC72's already have the identical case and XLR bits and pieces so that will be just as it is and they will probably add the HMC40 boards and controls.

I must admit that the ability to adjust iris without the menu is really great!!!

Anyone found any specs on the 3MOS chips yet.. I am presuming that they will still be the 1/4", same as the 40.

Remember that plenty of people DON'T like a shoulder-mount camera!! Compact cameras like the HMC40 are easy to carry and take up less space. My HMC72's with a wireless receiver and RodeMic also weigh in at nearly 8lbs!!! The big case is very solidly built and that adds a lot of weight. Handheld shots are, of course, a breeze and really stable!!

Chris

Rick Lutec April 14th, 2010 04:54 PM

Bob Diaz has a little video of his first day or so at NAB.
Not sure if it can be found here. I think near the end of the piece he has a Panny Rep discussing a bit about the 80. At one point it sounds like he says it will have a similar image block to that of the 40. If that's of any help.

Chris Harding April 15th, 2010 02:59 AM

Thanks Rick

Not much on the video but it does confirm that the 1/4" sensors are used.

I do weddings with my HMC72's and as long as you have an on-cam light there is no problem at all with their 1/4" CCD's ...just have to get my head around switching to 3MOS but weddings have virtually no high speed motion (unless the groom makes a break for it!!!) The odd problem with flash is not a big issue!!

Chris

John Wiley April 15th, 2010 07:52 AM

The original press release quotes Jan Crittenden Livingston, Panasonic's Product Line Manager as saying:

"The new camcorder offers the image performance of our HMC40, plus added professional features."

She all but confirms that it is the same (or very similar) imager used as in the HMC-40.

Alex Pineyro April 15th, 2010 09:43 AM

Brochure

Hi all

Here´s a preliminar brochure I´ve found on the net:

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...pre_E_ntsc.pdf

It sure looks nice... very nice.

Cheers!

Bob Diaz April 16th, 2010 10:48 AM

Here's the link to the video file on VIMEO:

While at NAB, I had a chance to talk to the engineer who designed the HMC40 and the HMC80. It's the same chip as the HMC40 and the same lens as the HMC40. The one advantage of the HMC80 is with the larger size, there's more room for the buttons. Also the camera supports the SD modes of 480/24p, 480/30p, and the flier I got said, "480/60p", but I wonder if that isn't a typo and the mode is really 480/60i.

I did take photos, but I just got back and I have a lot to do before I can get things sorted out. However, I will post photos later on.

Bob Diaz

Ian Slessor April 19th, 2010 10:02 PM

OOH! OOH! Right here! *waves hands at Chris*

Yeah.

This is what I've been looking for for transition to HD with my recitals, etc.

The price point is likely going to be around $2500 when it hits the street and I like the shoulder mount. It'll make things a lot easier when I move around with my cam. Far more stable than a DVX on a monopod or handheld.

I figure, hopefully, I can sell my 2 DVXb cams and have enough for one HMC80 and then cash for the second.

Alex! Thanks for the link to the brochure.
Bob! Thanks for the video. You're likely correct. 480/60i not 60p.

I believe I have found my cams for the move to HD.

ian

Chris McMahon April 19th, 2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Slessor (Post 1516789)
You're likely correct. 480/60i not 60p.

Why wouldn't it be able to do 480p60 if it can do 720p60?