HMC-40 goes to a tea party at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old April 15th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HMC-40 goes to a tea party

Videos: Martin County Tea Party - Treasure Coast, FL | TCPalm.com

Today we had tax day tea party rallies in our area. This one in Hobe Sound was pretty well attended. Among the speakers were a 14-year-old political activist and an 89-year-old tea party supporter who collapsed (presumably from the heat) right before she took the microphone. She recovered long enough to make a pretty good speech, but then the paramedics carted her off to the hospital.

I'm not terribly happy with the quality of today's video. The raw files were transcoded with NeoHD and they look great. But after the compression, the clip of the woman at the podium and the last video of the elderly man I interviewed - both of those look smeared or noisy or something. And both of those clips are pristine prior to encoding. The vertical lines running on the speaker next to the stage, those are in the transcoded original, so I'm not referring to that kind of noise. Anyone got any ideas what's wrong?
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:23 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Sherri

I really enjoy watching your videos.

I can't help you with the image quality issue I'm afraid but I do feel some of your footage could benefit from some stabilization software like Mercalli.

Do you think you might upgrade to the new HMC80?

Tony
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Tony,

Thanks for watching. And thanks for mentioning Mercalli, I didn't even know plug-ins like that existed. I'm going to check it out. I use a monopod most of the time, but for outdoor stuff when it's windy, even a monopod isn't too stable (or should I say I'm not too stable in high winds...lol...)

And no, I probably won't go for the HMC-80. I have a Sony AX-2000 that I'm still paying off...:)

Last edited by Sherri Nestico; April 16th, 2010 at 12:59 PM.
Sherri Nestico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 03:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Mercalli works wonders with the right setting, I advice adding a very light sharpen filter with it and crop the borders off. It particularly works well with progressive scan footage.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders