Need to trancode HMC40 files in Vegas 9 same as Mainconcept at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old April 17th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need to trancode HMC40 files in Vegas 9 same as Mainconcept

Here's the problem, we have files from our HMC40 that only the .MTS files from the STREAM folder got copied onto the computer, the full AVCHD folder contents are gone. We use the Mainconcept trandcoder for our Panasonic files in 16:9 Anamorphic setting to make AVI files to work in Sony Vegas 9. I've got some HMC150 files also for this project that we copied all the ACVHD folder contents over, so Mainconceopt will transcode them fine, but it won't scan the files from the HMC40 since we don't have the additional info from the SDHC disc.

So, I'm guessing the best approach (without spending money on another transcoder) will be to use Vegas 9 to transcode the HMC40 files. Everything is shot in 1080-60i, and I'm hoping that we can match up the final AVI files so everything works smoothly in Vegas. Anyone have any information on Vegas settings and procedure for this that I should know before we proceed? What is the output of the Mainconcept transcoder that I need to match specs for in Vegas (i.e. framerate, first field upper/lower, etc.)?

Thanks for the help,
Robert
Robert Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Robert

Just shoot a quick 5 second clip on the 40 ..take out the card and copy the folder structure to your drive and then delete the newly created 0000.MTS in the stream folder and just copy the files you need to transcode into the stream folder. The Transcoder will recognise the MTS files because the folder structure is intact.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the idea, looks like it will almost work. If I do what you said, it will only transcode about 5 seconds of video. I'm now trying to make a longer clip and will then try transcoding my files. It looks like if the file is longer than the clip info in the PLAYLIST info folder (i.e. 5 seconds), it will just transcode as much info as it's expecting to see. If the MTS is shorter than what it's expecting to see, it will give you a message that frames are missing, however it does transcode what's there in the MTS file, apparently, so I think this will work. A little laboreous, since I'll only be able to transcode one file at a time and have to keep renaming then as the first file in the STREAM folder. At least now we know not to delete all the info in the ACVHD folder before copying it, so we'll never have to do this again.

Robert
Robert Welch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders