Converting AVCHD to p-2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old May 13th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #1
Trustee

Converting AVCHD to p-2

Anyone converting AVCHD to P2? I downloaded the free Panasonic tool to make it smoother editing in CS5. but when I converted the footage it did edit smoother BUT it was at a weird resolution it was like 1280 X1080 or something like that. Any other ways to convert it?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
Anyone converting AVCHD to P2? I downloaded the free Panasonic tool to make it smoother editing in CS5. but when I converted the footage it did edit smoother BUT it was at a weird resolution it was like 1280 X1080 or something like that. Any other ways to convert it?
P2 is not a format. It's a physical card device. You apparently converted your footage to DVCProHD. Which is what the HVX200 and HPX170 record onto P2 cards. They are not full raster formats (1920x1080) like AVCHD and you will most certainly lose data going to these formats.

I thought CS5 was absolutely capable of editing AVCHD?
Old May 14th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #3
Trustee

I got ya your right DVCpro HD. CS5 is capable but its not a smooth editing experience. DVCpro HD is MUCH smoother for me its worth the quality loss. I thought I may have been doing something wrong.
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #4
Major Player

If you want to keep the full resolution of your AVCHD video and still have a smooth editing experience while editing with Premiere, Vegas, or Final Cut Pro, you should take a look at the Cineform NEO SCENE software.

You can download a trial from: Cineform Neoscene
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #5
Trustee

ya know I took the files that I converted and brought them into Edius and Edius said they were full rez. I brought them into CS5 and they said they were 1280X1080. I think its just a misreporting thing on CS5. I tried Cineform more than once and unless im doing something wrong I have nothing but issues with it. I just downloaded the latest demo and the audio was messed up plus when I tried to drop in a effect it crashed.
Old May 16th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #6
Trustee

o.k. I have more questions. 1. Is there a better AVCHD to DVCpro HD converter? When I convert the files instead of getting stereo audio I get dual mono which means I need to "unlink" every clip before I can seperate the audio also it makes me drag it in on tracks 3 & 4.
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #7
Trustee

o.k. sorry I figured it out, Theres a setting in Premiere that lets me change it.
thanks
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
I tried Cineform more than once and unless im doing something wrong I have nothing but issues with it. I just downloaded the latest demo and the audio was messed up plus when I tried to drop in a effect it crashed.
Something is definitely wrong with your setup. Cineform NEO SCENE is rock-solid on both of my workstations: Intel i7 920 CPUs, ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 motherboards, 6GB Corsair RAM, 6TB RAID 5 drive, Lian-Li cases, Windows VISTA, Sony Vegas Pro 9e

What hardware are you using? What software? Was NEO SCENE properly installed? ( i.e. Did it ever work properly on your system ? )
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #9
Trustee

I have tried it over the years on a number of systems. Currently I am running it(demo) on a i-7 920 with a gigabyte MB and 6 gigs of ram under Windows 7 64. I am running CS5 I think the issue may be that I use a black magic intensity pro board and maybe Cineform is not compatibile.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders