Format or Delete SDHC card???? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old May 19th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Format or Delete SDHC card????

Hi All

When I have finished a wedding, I backup the card data, transcode and then just before the next job I format the card in camera only to erase previous data.

What is the general workflow here???? Should one just delete the files in camera, format in camera or use the Panasonic Format software to do it and THEN format in camera??

What does everyone else do when you re-use a card on a new job???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Major Player

I format the card in camera when the data (footage) is no longer needed.
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Denny

Thanks! That's what I do at present and one had the one problem as mentioned in the other post.

I'm assuming that you would only use the Panasonic Formatter if you had a card that wasn't behaving correctly???

Chris
Old May 21st, 2010, 03:01 AM   #4
Major Player

Correct. I use the formatter on new cards before I format them in the camera.
Old May 21st, 2010, 05:55 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Denny

Great timing too!! 2 new cards I had ordered arrived today so I'll zap them thru the Panasonic formatter and then when I need them I'll format in camera.

Sorry to be a pest but what settings do you use with the Panasonic Formatter and brand new cards???

Chris
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:59 PM   #6
Major Player

FULL and Resize
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:35 AM   #7
Trustee

It is always good to re-format any media before re-use as this will initialise the directory structure as well as delete any clips.
Old May 24th, 2010, 03:08 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I always format the card in the camera before re-use but Denny pointed me to Panasonics little utility that will format the card in the PC (but you still have to format again in the camera too.

I'm not too sure why the card must be initially formatted in the PC using the Panny utility??? I have always just formatted new cards in the camera.

Denny??? Any idea why it's a good idea to format twice initially???

Chris
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #9
Major Player

That util checks the card for bad sectors etc., and reformats every sector so you know if they are good. Important to help prevent and "check card" issues.

In camera basically does a quick format with the panny file system. No error checking as far as I know.
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Denny

Much appreciated. It's then most definately worth running cards thru the Panny software ..the extra time involved seems well worth the peace of mind that your card is A-OK especially for a wedding where the event is absolutely non repeatable!!

Thanks again!!

Chris
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #11
Major Player

I agree. However....

Some issues with cheaper cards have not been bad sectors but the micro-controller on the card failing. If that occurs you will see teh "Check Card" message and the card will not be readable on any computer. USUALLY you can send teh card to the manufacturer and they can usually recover and data that was on the card.

I went through this with an A-Data 32gb class 6 card in the fall. They claimed to have had a bad batch of cards.
Old May 26th, 2010, 02:08 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Denny

I just ran a new card thru the Panasonic software and about 50% thru it said "Cannot Format memory Card" ... Setting was Erase (Off) and Resize ... Putting the card in the camera produced a "Check Card" message but the cam formats it perfectly and it seems to work fine. I also tested each card after the HMC had formatted them, with H2testw software which writes data to the capacity of the card and then verifies it..no errors were found

Any ideas??

Chris

Last edited by Chris Harding; May 26th, 2010 at 03:19 AM.
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #13
Major Player

Not sure what to say there.

Did you try and run it through a second time?
Old May 26th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Hi Denny

The readme file does say that some card readers do not support the erase function so it might be that???
I see the software has erase (on) and erase (off) options too. They also have a new version out that's still in beta so that also might have been a problem.

Not to worry, the cards test read and write to full capacity without any errors and format perfectly in the cameras too. I have a few Realty Projects coming up so I'll test them on those also (weddings are in their usual lull at this time as we have moved into our cold and wet Winter months) With the Realty shoots I am just filming empty homes so re-shoots are simple and not time critical at all!!

Thanks for all the help

Chris
Old May 28th, 2010, 04:12 AM   #15
Major Player

Can I just ask where you get the Panasonic Formatter software?
Philip Younger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders