DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Panasonic AG-AF100 preliminary brochure (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/480713-panasonic-ag-af100-preliminary-brochure.html)

Dave Eaton June 21st, 2010 10:00 AM

Panasonic AG-AF100 preliminary brochure

Panasonic released and then pulled the preliminary brochure on the AG-AF100 from their website but if you act fast there's still a copy floating around here.

John Wiley June 21st, 2010 07:02 PM

Some of it reads as though it has been translated from another language... perhaps it is the Japanese brochure roughly translated and accidentally released before editing?

It sounds as though Panasonic will make a 35mm cinema lens adaptor and sell that as their 'solution' for 'proper' video/film lenses. I'm sure this will delight some people while dissapointing those who can't afford to buy or can't be bothered to rent cinema lenses for each shoot.

Also I'm sure it's a typo, but the brochure did not mention 720p60, only 50p, 30p, 25p & 24p.

Dave Eaton June 21st, 2010 07:51 PM

Yeah, still, errors and all, it's nice to see something beyond the 3D mockup body.

Kyle McConaghy June 21st, 2010 09:12 PM

This looks awesome. I love that it has 2 XLR inputs, maximum AVCHD bit rate recording, and 1080/24p. Hopefully it will be under $7,000. I can see many indie films using this camera with GH1/2s as b-cameras.

Dave Eaton June 22nd, 2010 07:32 AM

I heard $6,000 was the price point but someone else said more like $4,000. With the coming small Sony with interchangeable lenses, soon, non-interchangeable lens video cameras will restricted to cell phones. :-)

Barry Green June 22nd, 2010 12:57 PM

The only official comment on price from Panasonic so far is "under $6,000."

Christopher Ruffell June 29th, 2010 09:55 PM

Great step Panasonic, glad to see a big-manufacturer ready to offer large-chip and interchangeable lenses at a sub-$10k price point. I hope Sony and Canon respond accordingly, which will give us even more options at a lower price.

Allan Black June 30th, 2010 12:50 AM

The price will upset some Canon XF300 waggons.

Dave Eaton June 30th, 2010 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Ruffell (Post 1543674)
Great step Panasonic, glad to see a big-manufacturer ready to offer large-chip and interchangeable lenses at a sub-$10k price point. I hope Sony and Canon respond accordingly, which will give us even more options at a lower price.

Sony's already announced one. Smaller...

Sony Global - News Releases - Sony Develops an Interchangeable Lens HD Camcorder equipped with the powerful "Exmor

Guy McLoughlin June 30th, 2010 11:17 AM

...This is a Sony consumer camera, not prosumer. I am sure it will be a great consumer camera, but it's not aiming for the same market territory as the Panasonic AF100.

Dave Eaton June 30th, 2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy McLoughlin (Post 1543881)
...This is a Sony consumer camera, not prosumer. I am sure it will be a great consumer camera, but it's not aiming for the same market territory as the Panasonic AF100.

Oh, agreed. Then, I don't think the GH1 or most of the Canon DSLR's were targeted for the market territory they're now in. Since the Sony material on-line is still showing rough drawings there's no telling what the final camera will be, do, or look like. The fact that it's an interchangeable lens videocam, consumer of prosumer, is a game changer, as is the AF100.

Brad Parler October 4th, 2010 03:48 PM

Correct - the Sony, has none of the pro features of the AF100.

The Sony vs the Panasonic is not really a fair comparison in my book as it's meant for two complete different crowds.