HMC40 in Low Light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old June 29th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #1
New Boot

HMC40 in Low Light

How is the AG-HMC40 in low light conditions? The new HMC80 appears to use the same 3MOS chips as the HMC40, and I'm trying to figure out how good the HMC80 is going to be for legal video given the performance of the HMC40.

In defining low light, I'm typically shooting in an office with reduced lighting. I'm not trying to shoot at night, but in a less than brightly lit room.

I carry two 500W lights with me at all times, but it's nice to be able to not set them up every time we shoot.

Any thoughts will be appreciated!
Bruce Balmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #2
Major Player

hmc 150 would definitely be better
mark von lanken posted a comparison ,and the diference in light with the 150 to the 40 is insane
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:10 PM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

Well, it depends on what you're comparing against. The HMC40 is about 50 ISO at 0dB gain. You can push it to 6dB easily, and 12dB is about the limit that I'm comfortable pushing it to. It gets a little grainy at 12dB, but it's pretty acceptable.

At 12dB, it's equiv. to about 200 ISO. So, what would you be comparing it to? What are you using now?
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Bruce,

You will probably have to use some gain. The HMC 40 will go up to 24dB gain, but it starts getty pretty noisy at 18db. Depending on your requirements 12-15 may be acceptable.

My primary camera is the HMC150 and the HMC40 is not nearly as light sensitive as the HMC150. I did a review of the HMC40 for EventDV Magazine. I also did an online shootout between the HMC150, HMC40 and JVC HD100. You can see the review here.
EventDV.net: The Event Videographer's Resource
Old July 26th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Mark

Thanks for posting that information. I have a Canon T2i but of course its not an event practical camera.
Ive shot some family weddings and stuff for my web site with my HV20 and 30 cameras. They are amazing in daylight but of course crap out in "mood lighting" situations. Im sure the HMC 40 would do better for me there. I also like the form factor of the HMC80 camera as well...............but now at the same price point of the 40, along comes SONY who is said to start delivering the NEX-VG10 in September. To get the same low light capability as my HDDSLR with the long contiguous recording capability of a standard video camera is very attractive. Problem of course is DOF, where you cannot necessarily just stick a camera like that on a tripod and walk away for an hour or two without making sure the subject is not moving in and out of focus.....a major concern in low light with the lens is wide open. I like the 150 but Im watching every penny these days.

Sooooo Ill just be doing the old wait and see for while before I make my jump.
Thanks again,

CM
Clayton Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders