AG-HMC150, buy now or wait? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old July 27th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #1
Tourist

AG-HMC150, buy now or wait?

I have done my research and the HMC-150 seems to be a good fit for my video recording needs. My only concern before I purchase is that Panasonic may be releasing an updated version soon. Does anyone here know of any information or a web site discussing release dates, etc.? It is a lot of money and I would rather take advantage of any updates or upgrades that may be in the near future as opposed to buying this camera and having an updated model released 1 month later. Thanks for your help.
Tim Layton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Tim,

I have not heard of any updates to the HMC150, however, I will be going to the WEVA Expo next month and if they are going to release an update anytime soon, I may hear about it at the WEVA Expo.

I know what you mean about not wanting to buy now and then a new release comes out one month later, but if you need the camera now, get it now. You can't spend your life wondering when the next best thing will come out. On the other hand, if you don't have to have the camera today, then wait a month till the WEVA Expo. If nothing is announced then, you probably will not see an announcement until closer to NAB in April.
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Anything is possible, BUT is it likely... The HMC-150 has been out only a few years, so a replacement model is unlikely.

Could an improved "B" model come out? Maybe at the 2011, 2012, or 2013 NAB, we might see something, but who knows.

You could wait until April 2011 and there's a SLIGHT chance a "B" model comes out, but you will have to wait for around 9 months to find out. Then again, if you wait 9 months, maybe at DV EXPO West in 2011, Panasonic MIGHT introduce a "B" model... My point is that it becomes a gamble, where you wait for something that may not come right away or ever.

DV EXPO West is September 28- 30, I don't think Panasonic will introduce a "B" model there, but it's not impossible. The question is, how long do you want to wait? Will a minor improvement in a "B" model be worth the wait?

Bob Diaz
Bob Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #4
Major Player

I would wait!

If you can wait until the end of the year, there are some exciting new cameras coming out from Panasonic (4/3" sensor) and "supposedly" the RED Scarlet will be released before the end of the year.

Both are definitely more $$ than the HMC-150 but if money is not that big of an issue, you might be happy that you waited a few more months.

Of course, if you need one now, I love my HMC-150.

But come December, I will buy one of the new ones unless of course Sony's new one's (35mm sensor) are coming out sooner than later. ;)

It is a great time to be in video right now.

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #5
Tourist

Thank You

Everyone, thanks for the great info and help. All very good info and very helpful. After thinking about it, even if there is an update soon, although not real likely based on what I can tell, the camera will still do everything I need and should continue to meet my needs for years to come. About the only risk I can see in the short term is that a new model would drive the price of the current HMC150 down a little, but I am okay with the current price. Thanks again.

Tim
Tim Layton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #6
Major Player

I've been in your shoes before. Do you wait or get a camera?

Here's the deal: There will ALWAYS be a newer, better camera on the horizon. ALWAYS. It doesn't make the camera you have or want a bad camera. Invest in what you need NOW. The next awesome camera will always be just a few months away.
Old August 9th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Any lists anywhere of the improvements that may occur in a B version?
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #8
Trustee

Sure - pick ANY random scribble from any one that wants to claim they heard from some one who knows things they are not supposed to know and chose to break their NDAs ;)

Honestly, anything you read today is pure speculation and should not be relied up as even remotely credible.
Old August 12th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #9
Trustee

Gear lust is a disease we are all faced with. When I decided to purchase my first decent camera, the HMC-150 fit all the requirements and didn't break the bank. Had I waited a bit, the Sony NXCAM's would have been a choice. Canon's XF's are now the camera I lust for but my clients are very happy with the results I get from the Panny. I also jumped into the DSLR game with the T2i and couldn't be happier.

Just this morning shot a mini-infomercial with both cams (150 for wide and T2i for closeups) and getting the footage back home confirmed that I made a good choice. The cameras cut really well with minor color correction and the picture is fantastic for the client's needs. The lust for the Canon just diminished a bit.

If the Red ever surfaces, I will have a hard time not jumping on that bandwagon but right now, I'm satisfied.

If the Panny peaks your interest, buy it now...shoot tons of stuff with it...make lots of money and upgrade when the dust settles from the camera wars at the end of this year...IF you need to.

Obviously we all want the latest and greatest but remember, your clients are the only ones who matter when it comes to the quality you deliver. If they are happy, they will come back.
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #10
Trustee

If it works it works, and the HMC150s certainly do a great job. Keep in mind as well that gear like the Pannys will maintain a fair value for quite a while. I recently sold my XHA1 for $2500 after 2 years of use. I purchased it new for $3200. Not too bad for a 2 year actual cost.

Nice cams though - I just bought 2 to replace my XHA1. Is it perfect? No, but I doubt you'll find a cam that is. There's a really great deal on this site right now actually: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/private-...-like-new.html
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Layton View Post
I have done my research and the HMC-150 seems to be a good fit for my video recording needs. My only concern before I purchase is that Panasonic may be releasing an updated version soon. Does anyone here know of any information or a web site discussing release dates, etc...
Hi Tim,

With all of the new cameras that Panasonic will be releasing soon, I don't think you will see an upgrade to the HMC150 anytime soon. At least that's the word I got from an unnamed source. ;-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders