HMC40 time lapse help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old August 9th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HMC40 time lapse help

We have a bridal show coming up this weekend and the planners have asked us to create a time lapse of the set-up starting with pipe and drape all the way to vendors setting up.

I saw in the manual that the HMC40 has a time lapse function and I'm wondering is anyone has used it or has any advice.

Thanks
Adam
Adam Haro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #2
Major Player

timelapses are super easy with the 40
just go into menu ,recording setup ,interval record ,for what your talking about you probably want a more detailed timelapse so set it to 1 second ,i usually record at 1080P 24p PH
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Tom. Any idea how long I can record on a 16gig card?
Old August 9th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #4
Major Player

i believe you can record for a maximum of 24 hours ,and this is limited by the camera, not because of running out of space ,when i was on vacation i did some time lapses that went on for around four hours ,and it was only about 2 mins out of the 1h39m available however i was recording with a frame interval of 10sec ,but i think you would be able to record for a really long time in interval mode
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks again Tom. That's the info I was looking for.
Old August 10th, 2010, 01:55 AM   #6
Trustee

I did some time lapse with my HMC41 for my last UWOL entry. Half an hour of recording every 10 seconds, it got me about 5 seconds of video! Really good though, I was impressed. Sure, you could do better with a DSLR and a laptop or something, but that would be something else to carry and it is just so handy having that on the video camera.

Just make sure you lock it down with manual exposure, focus, white balance etc. My first attempts at time lapse went a bit screwy because the exposure jumped a few times when the sun went behind a cloud or something.

Time lapse is one of the more trivial reasons why I chose the HMC41 over the JVC HM100!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the heads up on manual control Mike. Luckily I will be in a well lit convention center so the lighting will be very consistent but I will still set everything manually.
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #8
Trustee

Adam - also make sure the camera is well stabilised, especially if you have a wooden floor.

I did a time lapse of a lunar eclipse a while back with my Sony V1, and it worked well... apart from the fact that every time I walked across the floor to check the camera, the moon started bouncing round like a beast possessed.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Just some thoughts on time lapse:

(1) I like to set the time for 1 second per frame. If I need it to go faster, I can always speed it up in post.

(2) If possible, set the shutter speed at 1/2 a second exposure or as slow as possible. This seems to give a blur to the movement and looks more natural.

Bob Diaz
Bob Diaz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders