Panasonic AG-AF100 is online at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old August 21st, 2010, 03:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Panasonic AG-AF100 is online

The AVCHD recording format used by the AG-AF100 series includes a professional PH mode with maximum AVCHD bit rate for stunning image quality. Two SD card slots allow continuous recording for up to 12 hours* in PH mode and up to 48 hours* in HE mode with two SD (SD/SDHC/SDXC) cards on board.

The AG-AF100 series records in 1080:59.94i/50i/29.97p/25p/23.98p or 720:29.94p/50p/29.97p/25p/23.98p with its multi HD format.
You can render movie-like images. The Dynamic Range Stretcher, Gamma Select and other image features have also been inherited from previous Panasonic professional camera recorders.

(Wild guess that the 29.94p at 720 should be 59.94p)

The AG-AF100 series features HD-SDI output, XLR audio 2-channel input, and other interfaces that are typically found on professional camera recorders. Time code recording also supports precise video production. In addition to its compact, lightweight body, the AG-AF100 series's professional camera recorder design with grip, handle and large viewfinder firmly support reliable camera work.

Panasonic AG-AF100
Dave Eaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

how much?
any lens with package?
Alex Khachatryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Regular Crew

XLR audio. Amazing.
Adam Sturman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:46 PM   #4
Major Player

The original press release/announcements, etc. showed it with the 14-140mm kit lens from the Gh1. No idea what the plan is now. I've seen the list price ranging from $3,000-6,000. Nothing firm yet.

It's in the pro-av section so XLR and other pro features are expected.
Old August 26th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Well likely $6k for the camera and probably more for a lens. Though $6k for cam and lens would not be surprising. WOnder what astock panny lens would be like?

Anyone with a bit of a budget will be opting for a prime rental kit anyway.

Still.. so much for scarlet. lol
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Still.. so much for scarlet. lol
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Something tells me that Scarlet is going to do just fine in spite of the AF100 lol
Rick Presas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #7
Major Player

You mean in spite of the AF-100B since by the time they actually release the dang camera we'll probably already be on the B model. lol
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #8
Major Player

The infamous scarlet:

I still have faith in the scarlet but I am also very curious about the AF100.

I am buying a new camera at the end of the year. I would prefer the Scarlet due to the raw footage but I realize RED and their time lines are not very certain.

I like my HMC-150 so the AF100 could be a nice upgrade.

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eaton View Post
The AVCHD recording format used by the AG-AF100 series includes a professional PH mode with maximum AVCHD bit rate for stunning image quality.]
It doesn't say what "professional PH mode" actually is? Is it a new, higher, bitrate?
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:14 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I'm definitely interested to see what kind of low light performance this camera has as well. Exciting stuff here that's for sure.
Paul Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #11
Trustee

Press release from IBC: Panasonic Broadcast Blog / AG-AF101
Old September 10th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #12
New Boot

I spoke Jan Crittenden today at the IBC (just around the corner from my company) and she said the list-price would be around 5.000 Us dollars (without lens). Seems very competitive indeed, at least to me.
Shipping will start in december according to her.

I played a bit with the prototype (with a Zeiss Prime 35mm lens, very nice indeed!) and his a good low light performance, it actually will have a sort of ISO value setting, (different from the normail gain settings) but it was not yet implemented on this prototype. (just 70% finished Jan said) Image on the monitor was very good and sharp as hell with a amazing depth of field (also with apertures around t8)
Old September 11th, 2010, 07:11 AM   #13
Major Player

"Panasonic is using IBC to introduce the AG-AF101 (AF100) 4/3 HD camcorder, the world’s first*1 professional HD camera recorder to come equipped with a four-thirds MOS image sensor and is the first model in the Panasonic AVCCAM series to offer the possibility of exchangeable lenses. Optimised for high-definition video recording, the large image sensor on the AF101 enables professional users to achieve cinema-like wide-angle footage with shallow depth of field.

Film and Video Producer, Barry Green commented: "The AF101 promises a huge step forward for cinematographers who want a cost effective camera that delivers the look and feel of 35mm film, but without all the compromises and headaches that come from shooting on DSLRs. It lets filmmakers and video professionals seamlessly achieve the cinematic look they've long sought after, without having to resort to using light-hungry add-on lens adapters, or trying to work around the shortcomings of using a stills camera for a video application.”

The AF101 uses a Micro Four Thirds digital single-lens or cinematic lenses such as prime lens with a conversion adaptor, as well as professional audio input (XLR), giving it the degree of flexibility that professionals require.
The camera can record video in full HD (1080i/p)/720p formats including 1080/24p native mode with Full HD Variable Frame Rate (VFR)*2 function. The video can be recorded on the bigger capacity SDXC memory cards in professional high quality PH mode (up to 24Mbps). Two SD card slots allow relay recording from one SD (SD / SDHC / SDXC) card to another to give large recording capacity of up to 12 hours in PH mode or 48 hours in HE mode*3.

Green added: " Panasonic's kept the professional videographer's needs in mind; this camera has all the necessary connections, controls, and features that working professionals expect and demand from their cameras, and added the ability to achieve cinema-style shallow depth of field. This camera could very well be the embodiment of what independent filmmakers and videographers have been waiting for."

The camera recorder is equipped with interfaces that of a professional video camera, including HD SDI output, XLR audio 2ch (48 V phantom power source compatible) inputs. Time code recording feature is also available to deal with professional video operations.

Engineering samples of the camera recorder will be displayed at the Panasonic Stand #11.E60 at IBC in Amsterdam. Available in December with a tentative RRP of 4,900 euro. Excl. VAT

*1:Research by Panasonic (as of September 2010)
*2: variable frame rates available in 1080p, selectable in 20 steps from 12p to 60p at 60Hz and 20 steps from 12p to 50p at 50Hz. Playback is available at 1080/24p, 1080/25p or 1080/30p. Playback at 1080/60p and 1080/50p are not available on this product.
*3: using 2pcs of 64GB SDXC memory cards"

Barry Green interview at IBC Amsterdam with AF-101/100:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjhpwWUTCao
Old September 11th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #14
Major Player

Panasonic's European Technical Product Manager introducing the AG-AF101.

YouTube - Panasonic AG-AF101 Luc Bara
Old September 11th, 2010, 11:39 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
It doesn't say what "professional PH mode" actually is? Is it a new, higher, bitrate?
David,

AVCHD PH mode is up to 24Mbps, uncompressed audio. It compares favorably to XDCAM EX and even XDCAM 422 at 50Mbps as far as compression, not color space or frame structure.

Given an MPEG 2, 4:2:0, Long GOP codec at 50Mbps, theoretically, AVC, h.264 based codecs could provide similar quality with the same specs at a more efficient bit rate, as low as half that of MPEG 2. This remains to be seen with AVCHD PH mode, but I have no reason to think it wouldn't compare favorably to XDCAM EX at up to 35Mbps.

Unfortunately, for those wanting to record outboard onto AVC-Intra or ProRes or some other 10-bit codec, the AF100 most likely only provides 8-bit color depth from the HD-SDI output.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
Jeff Regan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders