DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Panasonic AG-AF100 series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/483744-panasonic-ag-af100-series.html)

Graham Hickling April 12th, 2010 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Palfrey (Post 1513071)
Also I did find some photos of this camera from the press conference but I cant remember the site I saw them on. In terms of size its only a bit bigger than an SLR.

This? http://cdn.gizmologia.com/files/2010...15-640x480.jpg

Gary Nattrass April 12th, 2010 10:43 AM

Another pic:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ag-af100_2.jpg

Wolfgang Winne April 12th, 2010 11:12 AM

Panasonic-Camcorder AG-3DA1 und AG-AF100:

YouTube - Panasonic-Camcorder AG-3DA1 und AG-AF100

Jenn Kramer April 12th, 2010 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The camera mockup is under glass here at NAB, I've included an iPhone picture, I'm sure we'll have more later today or tomorrow. The guy handing out information said it was scheduled for December, the sensor hasn't been decided yet (may be same generation as GH1, may be newer) and the price would be around $6k for the body. He said it would take photos in addition to video.

Dan Brockett April 12th, 2010 02:46 PM

I did a shoot last week using my HPX170 as an A camera and my 5D MKII as my B camera. The shoot came out pretty good, the color correction and filters are rendering in the BG as I type this. The thought of a camera that would essentially be like melting my two cameras together seems pretty cool to me. The cost is good, the codec is decent, although I would easily pay $2k more for the ability to use my P2 cards with AVC INTRA on this camera, but the AVCHD codec is good enough for a lot of what I do.

It looks as if Panasonic took careful notes about what Canon and RED have been up to and have decided to be first to market with what everyone wants, a video camera with video camera features but with a large sensor and removable lenses. Brilliant. I do feel shades of the DVX100 and the HVX200 with this unit, there will be a HUGE buzz about up until it is released and well after.

For those of you who do not know it though, the crop factor of the 4/3 sensor is 2.0 so your nice 24mm wide angle that you are shooting on your 5D MKII will become a 48mm on this camera. That is the only limitation with this camera that is apparent now, if you are a wide angle freak, you may become a bit frustrated with the 4/3 format. There aren't a lot of 6mm FF lenses on the market.

Nice move Jan and Co, I think you are once again going to be the hottest thing on the market for a while.

Dan

Alan Halfhill April 12th, 2010 06:34 PM

Awsome!!!

This is a game changer. It is in response to RED and Canon. We have been waiting a long time for this to come. I am quite happy with my 7D, BUT! They seem to solving some of the greatest problems with HDSLR's including their own GH-1. Audio, ailising, but what about rolling shutter? Great job Panasonic. There are some great 4/3's lenses. The f2's from Olympus. Pl mount from Hot Rod Cameras. And about every SLR mount adapter in the world.

One question? Does it shoot stills? I want one camera that does both. I have it now with the 7D, BUT the video portion is not as good as the still side.

Alan

Mike Brice April 12th, 2010 07:37 PM

Does this mean it will take Nikon or Canon lenses?

Equipped with an interchangeable lens
mount, the AF101 can use an array of low-cost, widely-available still camera lenses as well as film-
style lenses with fixed focal lengths and primes.

How will they do that - will you be able to change the mount, or will you have to decide if you want a Nikon mount or a Canon mount?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass (Post 1513129)
I just got the PDF link from panasonic:http://www.panasonic-broadcast.com/c...c_AG-AF101.pdf

Paulo Teixeira April 12th, 2010 08:12 PM

They most-likely meant that it'll be just like the GH1 in which it can take almost any lens with an adapter.

Dan Brockett April 12th, 2010 08:26 PM

4/3 works great with just about any still lens on the market with the right Ebay $15.00 adapter.

I agree with Barry Green. PLEASE PANASONIC DO NOT LET THIS CAMERA HAVE ANY STILL PHOTO CAPABILITY!!! Any still features will compromise the motion features. When you can buy a GH1 or GH2 or a T2I/550D for under $700.00, why on earth would you want to compromise the motion capabilities with still functions? Still functions = compromised motion abilities.

Dan

Andy Shipsides April 12th, 2010 08:33 PM

No still photo capabilities, just a straight up video camera. This is just a wooden mock-up but I think that you get what Panasonic is after. You wanted a GH1 made for video and you got it.

I'm working on a video blog for tomorrow. So I'll post again soon.

Jim Snow April 12th, 2010 08:52 PM

Panasonic is talking about end of year availability. How well has Panasonic done in the past with respect to meeting promised release dates? That should give us a clue about this camera.

Mike Brice April 12th, 2010 09:00 PM

Yea, I watched the video and that is what he said, that with an adapter it will take lenses from other companies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira (Post 1513475)
They most-likely meant that it'll be just like the GH1 in which it can take almost any lens with an adapter.

Bill Koehler April 12th, 2010 10:07 PM

I understand 4/3rds.
I understand u4/3rds.
I don't understand u4/3", especially when it is being said the sensor is the same size as the GH1.

A GH1 sized sensor would correspond more closely with 16mm.
What am I missing?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...inside.svg.png

Craig Yates April 13th, 2010 07:10 AM

The GH1's sensor is significantly larger than 16mm, it's pretty close to S35.

Dan Brockett April 13th, 2010 08:18 AM

Panasonic will ship some units by the end of the year if the past is any indication. Will it be widespread availability, enough to cater to what I am sure will be a tidal wave of interest in buying one? Probably not, probably next February or so if we are lucky. Just like the HVX200, it shipped in November/December of the year it came out, like they promised, but in minute quantities. You couldn't just call a dealer and buy one until about March of the following year.

Never base your business on what might be available. Until you can call Abel or B&H and they have one in stock for you, never count on having one. Doing so is a sure recipe for bitterness and disappointment. It cracks me up when I see newbies saying that they are going to hold off on shooting a film for a new camera. Then the camera delays or they are too far down the waiting list and they don't make their film. You don't see pros doing that, they generally are a bit more realistic, you generally don't HAVE to have a specific camera to shoot a project, you use what you already have.

Dan