DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Tapping into the intenrnal mics input (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/485132-tapping-into-intenrnal-mics-input.html)

Randy Johnson September 22nd, 2010 02:54 PM

Tapping into the intenrnal mics input

Anyone here know if its possible to tap into the internal mic input with a external shotgun with the HMC-150? I have a need to.

Chris Harding September 22nd, 2010 05:44 PM

Hi Randy

Electronically it's quite possible if you are brave enough to open your camera and disconnect the built-in stereo mic and add a jack socket to the camera body. However just bear in mind (apart from warranty issues) that you are STILL stuck with the usual audio configuration and two channels anyway. To get a "fixed mic" to run in place of the internal mic you would still have to switch the audio to "front" rather than XLR. I have the 72 cams which do have the older 3.5mm jack up front as well as XLR's and when you plug a mic into that input all it does is switch out the internal mic and accept the signal from your plugged in mic. If the 150's have the minijack still then that's the same as physically disconnecting the internal mic and connecting a shotgun!!

I must admit I prefer the XLR configuration as I can run on cam shotguns "hot" for better range and then use the XLR attentuation switch if the environment starts getting noisy

Chris

Randy Johnson September 22nd, 2010 06:08 PM

Well you see that would work for me, I have the option shotgun from Panasonic and I actually want to hardwire it to the internal. See I bought the Azden wireless with a 2 channel reciever and it has a mini to 2 XLRs output if I use the internal mic everything is pretty clean I just switch between 2nd wireless and the on camera mic but the on camera mic sucks. So if I could hard wire the shotgun into the on camera mics line id have the best of both worlds.

Chris Harding September 22nd, 2010 07:50 PM

Hey Randy

Just had a look at the 150 manual and it doesn't have a 3.5mm external mic socket it seems, just the XLR's!! You would therefore have to bite the bullet and open the camera, disconnect the built-in mic and possibily add a convenient socket on the body or just hardwire it....

Warranty violation still exists of course but then again I have never had a warranty claim in 20 years so I would do it!! Whether you open the cam up or not is totally up to you!!! Having never opened an HMC 150 I'm not sure if the mic has a ribbon cable or just wires...stuff is becoming pretty small and compact nowdays so I would look initially before seeing if it's practical.

It just might be safer to see if you can open up the actual mic module on the cam and disconnect/connect there which would save having to "fiddle" inside the more complex boards inside the camera and a lot safer. At worst you can damage the actual mic which is far better than damaging any other components that might render the camera useless...it will still work without the mic!!!

Let us know how you get on????

Chris

Randy Johnson September 22nd, 2010 08:45 PM

I have a buddy who runs a service center maybe I can talk him into it. I will let you know how it works. thanks for the input.