HMC40+1/8" mic adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old November 12th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Tourist

HMC40+1/8" mic adapter

hello,

I'm using an HMC40 with a shotgun mic attached via an 1/8" adapter. It seems that this setup automatically disables the 2nd channel of audio and is only seeing/recording the shotgun on Ch. 1, but is not seeing/recording the onboard mic on Ch. 2 (which is what I'd like it to do).

I must have something set incorrectly, but cannot figure out from troubleshooting or the manual what that might be.

Thanks for your help!
Dina Fiasconaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Trustee

Dina,

The shotgun mic is mono, and the XLR- 1/8" adapter is probably mono only as well, which is why you only get one channel. I'm sure it's been covered on here before if you search. I don't think the HMC4x has a menu setting to duplicate the audio channel.

You would need a lead that provides audio to both stereo channels via the 1/8" jack. I'm not sure what it's called, I use the XLR unit on my HMC41, which also allows me to record the shotgun mic onto two channels at two different levels, so I can cope better with unexpected loud sounds, for example.

Maybe something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/158477-REG/Hosa_Technology_XVM_105F_Stereo_Mini_Angled_Male.html
"This Hosa Stereo Mini Angled Male to 3-Pin XLR Female Cable is specifically wired to convert a mono microphone or line level signal to both left/right contacts of a mini 3.5mm (1/8") stereo plug. This allows microphones and mono output devices to be connected to the stereo inputs of camcorders without phase cancellation and single channel operation."
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #3
Tourist

Thank you, Mike.

I do understand that both the shotgun and jack are mono. I was more so wondering if there was a way to set the camera to record the shotgun to one channel and the onboard mic to the second channel, like you can with other cameras like the HVX200.
Dina Fiasconaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Trustee

Sorry Dina, I always try to cover the bleedin' obvious!

I think the channel replication is only available for XLR - I think the HVX is all XLR? No software option for our HMC-tinycamera people that I know of.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Dina

Inside the 1/8" socket in the camera is a connector that disconnects the internal mic completely when you push a jack plug into the socket!! The only way to bypass it would be to change the socket.

However what you can do is remove the 1/8" mono plug from the mic cable and replace it with a stereo one and then bridge the two live terminals so you mic output is fed into both camera channels.

The other option is to use a stereo to mono splitter which is essentially a 1/8" stereo jack plug on one end and two mono sockets on the other. That way you can feed your shotgun into one mono channel and a second mic of your choice into the other to "use" the second channel.

If you had something like a Rode Stereo mic then it would feed both channels for you...probably the nicest option??? Azden also make a stereo shotgun mic that will also feed both channels.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #6
Regular Crew

My Rode Videomic records to both channels

...on my HMC-40 using the 1/8 jack. I didn't have to go into the audio menu to set anything, it worked that way right out of the box.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders